Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pendle Fell Race 6th APRIL

Pendle Fell Race 6th APRIL

Our juniors are asking about race routes so I've asked David Bailey to supply a map which is below BUT;

There's a slight alteration to the route for u12 and above. There's a new fence across the field to the south (left) of Buttock Farm, where the route usually goes. The map actually shows two fences already but they haven't really existed for years, until now.

Because of this fence, the route will now go to a small stile just before the farm and pass to the north (right) of the farm, rejoining the original route (as marked on the map) at the fell gate GR807401 (just by the first t of Buttock!). I'm assuming the u12 turnaround will be around or just before the stile but don't quote me on that one.

The maps on display on the day will show the new route

Hope to see lots of you there; there'll be more grass on this one!

OLD MAP
    Attachment 6889

Re: Pendle Fell Race 6th APRIL

Some of our juniors went expecting the age criteria to be age on the day and running in the under14s but apparently it was age as of 1st jan so they missed the under 12s race. I didn't notice anywhere where it said age as of 1st Jan which is the criteria for champs races, we used age on the day at Liver hill on Tuesday. I've had some pretty upset parents contacting me, it's a poor situation to say the very least and confusing for lots of parents and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I didn't notice anywhere where it said age as of 1st Jan which is the criteria for champs races, we used age on the day at Liver hill on Tuesday. I've had some pretty upset parents contacting me, it's a poor situation to say the very least and confusing for lots of parents and kids.
    i was pretty critical following the rivington pike race last weekend and i have to say that this weekend was the exact opposite.. easy to find start, well marked routes, loads of maps, hunderds of entry forms a massive box of pens and above that table on orange A4 sheets of cardboard stuck on the wall between the maps showing the junior routes..'' age as on 01/01/13''

specsavers?

big acknowledgements to the organisers who coped with hundreds literally more entries than they expected.. well done!

http://www.ukresults.net/2013/pendu12.html

Juniors results via links at top.

No doubt there'll be a debrief on the age info / it should have been made clear in advance, as WP and others have previously commented? A standard line in the online race info would do it (Age is age on ..), and also on the entry forms as I have once suggested on here, but I'm not the one making those decisions.

It was Age as of 1st Jan - but let's not go down the route of what is clear - the old way was clearer for ROs as well as the athletes.

Anyway it was a great day, fantastic effort again by David and Clayton and thanks from Lancs AA for allowing us to piggy back the race again for our champs. Hopefully we'll be back again next year.

It's needs to be made completely clear beforehand which criteria the race organiser has chosen as LissaJous has noted. What's the point in parents turning up only to find they have missed the race they were expecting their child to run in. I suppose there is a point to be made to patents to turn up in time for all eventualities but its difficult enough at times to try to encourage parents to travel to races without placing obstacles in their way. Here's a plea to Junior race organisers ( and the Fra junior committee to note ) to clearly and well in advance inform everyone whether its age as of 1st Jan or age on the day. As for Pendle where was stated beforehand which criteria was being used.

As for Pendle where was stated beforehand which criteria was being used.
    you REALLY need specsavers... i think my post stated clearly where the age criteria was... through out the winter and spring its been as clear as a freshly washed window buffed with windowlene what the criteria for races are.. if my 8yr old can discuss the finer points of individual races, championships and BoFRA are then its not rocket science

It's needs to be made completely clear beforehand which criteria the race organiser has chosen as LissaJous has noted. What's the point in parents turning up only to find they have missed the race they were expecting their child to run in. I suppose there is a point to be made to patents to turn up in time for all eventualities but its difficult enough at times to try to encourage parents to travel to races without placing obstacles in their way. Here's a plea to Junior race organisers ( and the Fra junior committee to note ) to clearly and well in advance inform everyone whether its age as of 1st Jan or age on the day. As for Pendle where was stated beforehand which criteria was being used.
    I'm not sure Lefty whether you are saying it was stated or not. David is the RO but I offer a little back up by setting up the info on www.ukresults.net which is mentioned on the calendar entry.
    Junior age cats determined as at midnight 31/12/12 to 1/1/13
    This is on the info on the website summary info and on the PDF info sheet that has now been replaced by the results link which spelt out the age criteria for all categories, so no one should really have been unclear.

... we used age on the day at Liver hill on Tuesday.....
    Why Graham? Have you always used AOD or was it a new introduction?

I'm sure the vast majority of junior races have always used age on 1st Jan (but correct me if that's untrue) which allows juniors to compete against the same runners throughout the season; I'm not just talking champs races, even juniors within one club like to compete against each other. In the absence of a coherent standard I'd assume all race were age on 1st Jan unless proved otherwise. It seems a simple system and it baffles me why people are so opposed to mandating across all FRA registered events.

This is an example of the kind of confusion that the FRA organisers assured us last year wouldn't happen, that the clarification of the age v distance rules wouldn't cause. It's because of the FRA's failure to grasp the nettle and impose a mandatory system that this sort of thing happens and will happen again and again this season. Several of us implored the FRA to fix the problem and were ignored as troublemakers.

I distinctly remember one RO, not a million miles away, reassuring me that it was all a fuss over nothing and everything would be ok; I wonder if you still think that, Graham?

Anyway, back to the Race!

Well done to all the juniors who took part in perfect conditions today. I saw lots of happy faces and very few upset faces; the main criteria I use when judging success in junior racing! My heart went out to a little lad running for Mercia who was audibly distressed as he passed my marshalling point at the fell gate. He got a lot of encouragement from the spectators and seemed more composed on the way back down. I sincerely hope that he wasn't pushed into doing this race against his will and that we see him again.

Well done everyone, see you again next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'm not sure Lefty whether you are saying it was stated or not. David is the RO but I offer a little back up by setting up the info on www.ukresults.net which is mentioned on the calendar entry.
    Junior age cats determined as at midnight 31/12/12 to 1/1/13
    This is on the info on the website summary info and on the PDF info sheet that has now been replaced by the results link which spelt out the age criteria for all categories, so no one should really have been unclear.
    I have since checked on the link to uk results and sure enough Richard it does clearly state the age criteria for Pendle which obviously some parents have not seen. As for the comment by withaY your post does indeed as you say clearly state where the age criteria was shown on the day ( A4 sheets of cardboard stuck on the wall ) you obviously misunderstood my post asking for age criteria to be made well clear beforehand and in advance ( it was I now admit done so for this race ) Different race organisers are using different age criteria, it's clear for the Fra champs, not so for lots of other Junior races.