Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pendle Fell Race 6th APRIL

Re: Pendle Fell Race 6th APRIL

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I have since checked on the link to uk results and sure enough Richard it does clearly state the age criteria for Pendle which obviously some parents have not seen. As for the comment by withaY your post does indeed as you say clearly state where the age criteria was shown on the day ( A4 sheets of cardboard stuck on the wall ) you obviously misunderstood my post asking for age criteria to be made well clear beforehand and in advance ( it was I now admit done so for this race ) Different race organisers are using different age criteria, it's clear for the Fra champs, not so for lots of other Junior races.
    I'm not clear what confusion there was though today. I wasn't RO but I was around from 10:00 until the death and never heard a complaint. I was aware that one U10 who made up 10 in Feb incorrectly entered the U12s race (as if AOD) but they did realise in time, ran in the correct race and it was sorted.

Andy - as has been pointed out in the debate last year, there was never anything in the rules about junior age categories being age on 1/1. It was more of a precedent that had developed because FRA Champs and County Champs used age on 1/1 and it became an adopted standard.
    Some races followed their own systems and that was allowed so long as the athletes didn't run over distance and breach rule 10. But I would guess that more than 90% followed age on day.

What is clear already because of queries at Rivington and Pendle is that there is now confusion and it would have been better to mandate 1/1/13 and adopt an age category system that follows the UKA XC rules structure.

I just think that all parents need to be warned that age dates vary between races. As richard says age on 1st jan is the most common so I am surprised that people got caught out by that.

The largest junior fields are probably BOFRA which has different age dates, and then you get a few BOFRA type races but which aren't, like Kinsey, that are age on day.

I'm a junior coach myself and have three kids who ran all sorts of fell races so I appreciate that it can be confusing.

dont forget that races are independently organised. This probably needs explaining to parents as well because some think that are paid people organising everything for their kids ( and that coaches are paid).

I turn up to every junior race with my son BEFORE the start of the 1st race. I've had him competing in under 12's one week & under 14's the next. No problem as far as I'm concerned. Like the weather, expect the unexpected. But let's not criticise the race organisers. I thought everything was clear & meticulous on the day. Many thanks to Clayton-Le-Moors Harriers, we had a cracking morning out.

Master

I wasn't there today (clashed with a family event, and some urgent repairs to our boundary fence), but good to hear everyone had a fab time at the feeding trough.
    I cant see what the fuss is all about?
    I thought the new season's simplified rules had got rid of last season's pantomime?
    :closed:
    Powered by Ugali.

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    I thought the new season's simplified rules had got rid of last season's pantomime?
    :closed:
    Explain last season's pantomime please.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Explain last season's pantomime please.
    Sorry, wrong smiley, :closed: should have been a .
    I suppose the rhetorical question is whether the new set of rules (post Rule 10 change) taken altogether are 'more of' or are they 'less of' a pantomime than the old set?
    I'll just say that as clarification / explanation, and quit, not wanting to spoil a race thread or regurgitate a debate that was done to death on the 'age limits' thread.