Page 4 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Re: Langdale Fell Race 6th Oct

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    Correct. Originally Langdale and the relays were due to be on the same day 13th October but Langdale was brought forward a week.
    ...and now Langdale clashes with what is arguably the more exciting, appealing and enjoyable relay event - the Ian Hodgson - some say THE relay event of the year.
    Why walk when you can run.

Graeme

Being new to fellrunning, I've been an FRA member the last two years, I was wondering who was Ian Hodgson and what is the history behind the event? There does seem to be some significance placed in the event.

Someone can correct me but I believe Ian Hodgson was a fellrunner who died in a road accident the day after he had done very well, possibly won (?), the mountain trial.

I could be wrong but I think he hadn't even found out that he'd won it (possibly they took longer to collate results etc.) when he died.

In memory of Ian the Relay is run on the route of that years Mountain Trial.

My accuracy is probably a little bit Wikepedia-ish.....

Sounds like numbers on this one (surely one of the best routes going) might be down on previous years (c. 400), what with Ian Hodgson and Great Whernside. What do people reckon?

I was seriously thinking of doing this one, as we aren't in the British Champs the week after. My concern is that I have never done this before and was worried about the route etc, especially as I am new to fell running and may well end up lost!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulH7 View Post
    I was seriously thinking of doing this one, as we aren't in the British Champs the week after. My concern is that I have never done this before and was worried about the route etc, especially as I am new to fell running and may well end up lost!
    Route is pretty straightforward on a map (Roughly, Stickle Tarn, Thurnacar whotsit, Esk HAuse, Bowfell, Crinkles, Blisco) but just be prepared for some quite slippery conditions underfoot and some trickiness (navigationally) around Crinkle Crags. Its fairly bunched up until at least you get onto the big bit of moor after Thurnacar. It makes a huge difference when teh clag isn't down in th sense of seeing where you're going and the views! (Stunning Langdale Pikes and lovely looking over to Crinkles and down to Langdale - becoming quite dewey eyed )

Anyway, can someone remind me of the thing to do to avoid the Bad Step after Crinkle Crags?

Graeme

I think, you head towards Eskdale and follow a broad(tourist path) to the bottom of the second crinkle. At least that's what I did last time I recced it.

Mainly because I couldn't find the Bad Step

Or head to the top of the bad step, double back on yourself to the left and drop onto a narrow path beneath, which then doubles back again, so that you are overlooking a gully on your left. Bit scary but the fastest route.

I've just got confirmation that I'm in .... although I only paid a fiver (stupidity on my part) and will still owe 50p on the day.

I've just looked up the check points and am starting to panic, given a couple of completely unobvious connecting routes. Pete Bland here I come I think.

Graeme

Justa quick question about the descent off Blisco, is it basically the same route as three shires, but left when you get towards the wood?