Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117
Results 1,161 to 1,164 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

It reminds me of an Edale sky line a number of year back when it poured down, really windy..I had a group of school kids out on a DofE, lots of kit on and had a fun time.

I think 40% of the top elite 30 dropped out cold and wet by half way, yet at the back of the race runners were coming in at 5 hours happy as larry in full goretex and fleeces. why would you risk your life to save 200grms of a thicker jacket
    I have a large photograph of the starters in the 2012 Buttermere Sailbeck race a few yards up the road when the field is just spreading out. They are wearing an astonishing array of kit.

In the past I have shared the picture with people and asked "which of these runners do you think died of hypothermia during the race?"

Nobody has ever chosen the wrong runner.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-10-2023 at 04:50 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I did the first Rock and Run MM in Langdale (1988?).My running partner and me were just getting in to fell running coming from a background of mountaineering and rock climbing. We basically had our walking gear and fell shoes. On the way to CP1, somewhere over Ore Gap we kept seeing pairs in the same course heading back down and assumed, not having looked ahead on the map, that CP2 must have been back down behind us somewhere. In fact it was somewhere near Blackbeck Tarn (a longgg way) and the runners we had seen with 'proper' kit were retiring, having found soloing a grade 1 snow gully and the overall conditions just a bit too much. In our heavyweight kit we plugged on all day, into Ennerdale, over to Wasdale and almost to the overnight camp. We reluctantly called it a day at the penultimate CP - darkness had fallen and my mate broke his headtorch. We had a comfortable night and were awoken the next morning by early pairs arriving at our CP on a much improved day. We sheepishly made our way back to Langdale and the finish and were gobsmacked to see how comparatively well we had done in our class - but it was simply down to having bombproof kit.
    But to be fair in those days state of the art running waterproofs were Rock and Runs own thin nylon cag and trousers, not breathable, no taped seams. But very light!
    Last edited by Mark G; 12-10-2023 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I have a large photograph of the starters in the 2009 Buttermere Sailbeck race a few yards up the road when the field is just spreading out. They are wearing an astonishing array of kit.

In the past I have shared the picture with people and asked "which of these runners do you think died of hypothermia during the race?"

Nobody has ever chosen the wrong runner.
    Do you mean 2012?
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Do you mean 2012?
    Thank you. Yes I did. And I know why in a brainstorm I typed 2009 and not 2012!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".