Page 113 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Eh up Luke
    I’ve done Langdale 8 times and today was certainly an adventure - definitely one of my hardest Langdales due to the clag and extremely slippery rocks. Well done on getting around….see you at the next 50@50.
    Sorry pal, i thought you said 17 or 18! Just looked at the results and Wharfee is miles in front of me, but i never saw him come past me.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by drd1234 View Post
    Yes the clag was terrible after Esk Hause. The marshal at Crinkle Crags said a couple of people had visited twice. To be honest I'm surprised more people didn't get lost.
    Loads of people falling over, sometimes repeatedly.

The organisation was great, with home made pies
    That little boozer was great, some nice ales on tap- Windermere Pale, Loweswater Gold...makes me wish i had a woman in my life so i could go on holiday there for a long weekend.

Sounds like it'd more fun with mates.

I was marshalling on Blisco (until 2pm) and people were coming and going in many directions.

One of the things about Blisco is that there are 4 races that go up it (Dash, Great Lakes, 3 Shires and Langdale) and across these there are 3 ascent routes and 4 descent routes, all looking very similar but all ending up in very different places.

The Strava flyby looks good fun - evidence of a few visits to the 3 shires stone!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Sounds like it'd more fun with mates.
    Been banging that drum for years, responses include but not limited to:

What about our lass?
    Our lass doesn't like the Lakes.
    What about the kids?
    Our lass doesn't want to go.
    Me and our lass are going to Tenerife this year.
    Our lass wants to take the kids to disneyland this year.
    Once you add the women and children on top of the three of us we'll need the whole B&B!
    We're taking the kids glamping to Keswick soon, maybe next year.
    Eer...i'll have to talk to our lass. (Never gets back to you)

I seem to remember at three tarns last year seeing a giant boulder to the right. Is that the point at which you leave the tourist path if you're going round the crinkles not over?

Master
    From 3 tarns follow the tourist path over a large bank of rock sloping down to the left, then over some boulders - tourist path goes leftish, but go rightish over some boggy grass, up a bank of rock sloping towards you, across level grass aiming for a notch in the rocky skyline with a large pear shaped boulder to its right, go through the notch, slight descent, left up some slanting rocks, level on grass, across a small boulder field, up left mainly on grass, when it levels out and starts to descend go up a shallow gully on the left until you reach a tarn, go right next to the tarn, slight descent after the tarn, then a rising traverse towards a long bank of rock with gaps in it, go through one on the gaps and turn up left - tarn on your left - to the checkpoint.

The problems are 1/going too low and having to regain lots of height, and 2/ going too high too early and ending up on large boulder fields. If there is a large red gully above you, then you have gone too low.

Master
    On the route described thee are only 2 minor descents - the first after the notch of perhaps 30 feet, the second after the tarn where you turn right of perhaps 20 feet. Thee are several good looking grassy trods that descend a long way - avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    On the route described thee are only 2 minor descents - the first after the notch of perhaps 30 feet, the second after the tarn where you turn right of perhaps 20 feet. Thee are several good looking grassy trods that descend a long way - avoid.
    What sort of time are you aiming for, Mike?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    What sort of time are you aiming for, Mike?
    I am not running - I am so slow these days - I have done it I think 5 times, with my times varying between 3.52 and 3.34. I went under Esk pike on the first 2 occasions, over it after that. I would never go under again, not even on a recce. And I went to the immediate left of the Bad Step the first time, around to the right of it after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I am not running - I am so slow these days - I have done it I think 5 times, with my times varying between 3.52 and 3.34. I went under Esk pike on the first 2 occasions, over it after that. I would never go under again, not even on a recce. And I went to the immediate left of the Bad Step the first time, around to the right of it after that.
    Oh right, i was hoping you might show me the way! Do you bother with the grassy line up Bowfell?

I've put an entry in, if the weather is crap i'll parkrun instead. I can probably crack 3.30 if i don't end up all over the place, it'll be about keeping the powder dry until after i'm down the bad step.