Page 102 of 117 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Hello Mr Marsh,
    I will be back up there mate, Sam put a ban on any races but has revised this to she will not pick me up next time.
    Cookie prefers the local stuff I think, he is registered on here I think.
    As i said the people involved in this sport are amazing people and make all the races great events. hopefully back running in about 3 weeks, will text you mate.

Craig

Looking forward to this on Saturday... my first 'Lakeland Classic'

Have read through this thread with interest regarding route variation, particularly the routes that were favoured in the earlier days...

1) From Thunacar Knott following the higher ground around the top of Stake Pass, rather than through the depression and up Black Crags.

and

2) Descending Pike O Blisco down Redacre Gill to the stream crossing and contouring round to the cattle-grid.

Anyone got any thoughts on these two in particular, they certainly look pretty viable, or are they pretty outdated...?

Also looking at the possibility of descending from Esk Hause back down the path to take the path above Angle Tarn up to Ore Gap... if the weather's bad...

I checked out the Redacre Gill route a couple of weeks ago. Its very bracken heavy after the stream crossing and i stumbled a couple times as i couldn't see where i was putting my feet. But then i am a rubbish descender so others may find it better. If the visibility is good then i might take a more direct route and see how i get on.

Not sure about descending all the way back to Angle Tarn. I checked out the contouring route below Esk Pike and its not too bad and you hit the path up to Ore gap at some point anyway so would be ok in clag.

The little trod from Esk Hause to the top of Ore Gap is always going to be quicker than going down to Angle Tarn and up so I wouldn't bother with that. Equally I'd say that dropping down into Stake pass and up Black Crags would be better than looping round the higher ground to the right - never mind the Langdale Horseshoe, most Bob Grahamers go up the Black Crags trod rather than take the extended but more contoured line here (which must add at least half a mile to the distance). I can't comment on the descent from Pike O'Blisco because both times I've done the race I've got the descent here completely wrong; once dropping down too soon and the other time dropping down to late

This was my very first Lakeland Classic too. I think I'd done Helvellyn previously and I was a bit unsure! Big fell race over unknown terrain, in October!! I'd only ran 'fell' in Yorkshire Moors, and a little bit the Dales. I ran in a Buffalo jacket, Ron Hills and, I think, Brookes Graphlex with an 'off-road' sole fitted!! Cramped going up over Blisco....loved it!! I really need to re-visit a lot of these races.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Really looking forward to this race, it'll be my first Langdale so can't wait. I know its gonna be tough but that's the appeal, usually do races on north york moors so this is definatley out my comfort zone. Its only my second Lakeland Classics race but can't wait for it. Roll on Saturday!

Looking forward to it very much too. Apologies in advance to the 15-20 people that have to overtake me on the traverse under Esk Pike! Slippy rocks...

Best race of the year!
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar
    Oh its you is it!
    Rigby Jerram

Yes, think so. Form an orderly queue!
    Josh Hubbard - Ambleside AC

Master
    Over/around Esk Pike, so much nicer.