Page 11 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Re: Langdale

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
    Stolly:

Last year it clashed with one of the those four big trail races (can't remember which one; might have been Garburn.) I know quite a few who, for whatever reason, did the trail race so I suspect it did depress entries. Don't know if that will be the case again this year.

I think my memory is crap - maybe I did send off last year after all. Stunning race though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I think my memory is crap - maybe I did send off last year after all. Stunning race though.
    Bit like my running of it last year, then. Agreed, brilliant race.

The racing line and the notes on the race map I have for this suggest dropping off Crinkle Crags via the 'bad step'. Is this the route most people would take of are you best skirting around the righthand side on a more grassy route?

It's always a popular race so get your entry in asap. You've got until 5 October. I entered in January just to make sure ~ my cheque has been cashed so I'm in
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by Stratfordrunner View Post
    The racing line and the notes on the race map I have for this suggest dropping off Crinkle Crags via the 'bad step'. Is this the route most people would take of are you best skirting around the righthand side on a more grassy route?
    Most tend to take the Bad Step. The grassy route to the right is slower but safer. Bad Step isn't that bad as long as you know what you're doing. In the heat of a race when there's a lot of energy about anything can happen. It's worth a recce so you know how to attack it on the day.
    See the light in the night

Thanks Mapper, am going to get my entry in today.

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Most tend to take the Bad Step. The grassy route to the right is slower but safer. Bad Step isn't that bad as long as you know what you're doing. In the heat of a race when there's a lot of energy about anything can happen. It's worth a recce so you know how to attack it on the day.

Graeme

The right hand route isn't that grassy, the line I took, it's quite loose and rocky, though if you went further to your right you could pick up a grassy line. There's also a small amount of climbing to do to pick up the racing line again too. In my view I would use the bad step.
    However I won't be there this year.

I was behind someone a couple of years ago who did an (unintentional) cartwheel down the bad step. I think he was going to jump down but had second thoughts at the last moment but his momentum took him over. He seemed unscathed by the ordeal but it worried the rest of us behind him!!

The bad step tends to be the faster route, and is not that technical. Just a couple of hand/footholds to get down. However, sometimes you end up queuing to get down, so if there are lots of people around you at the top of the Crinkles then the alternative route may actually be faster.

I ran (slogged 'round) fo' t'first time a couple o'years ago and wer lookin forward to the "bad step" but inadvertently followed runners who'd taken "th'easy" route to the right...I reckon I lost time on the bad stepper's.

Andy Styan rules ok.

Only a few days left to get entries in. Mine's just gone in the post.