Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Oh right, i was hoping you might show me the way! Do you bother with the grassy line up Bowfell?

I've put an entry in, if the weather is crap i'll parkrun instead. I can probably crack 3.30 if i don't end up all over the place, it'll be about keeping the powder dry until after i'm down the bad step.
    The trod to the right of the tourist path up Bowfell is worth taking, as long as you know where it is; the rocks at the start of it just after Ore Gap will be slippery, as will the rocks near the top. The descent to Three Tarns is pretty eroded these days. The grass on the left, and lower down, on the right, is better than the path itself, though in places the path is unavoidable.

Nah, i don't know where the trod up Bowfell begins, Mike. I'd need to have someone show me the lines, but both the guys i'd ask will be about 20mins in front of me, and that's if i leg it.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    Nah, i don't know where the trod up Bowfell begins, Mike. I'd need to have someone show me the lines, but both the guys i'd ask will be about 20mins in front of me, and that's if i leg it.
    After a slight rise in the red soil of Ore Gap col it goes half right - unmarked - across a field of boulders - once leaving the boulders - if you get the line right - a grassy/rocky trod appears under foot. But if you get the line wrong you could waste a lot of time. There may of course be a line of "follow the leader" runners showing the way - otherwise stick to the tourist path which is not that bad.

Weather forecast is looking a bit grim next few days. Possibly brightening up a little for the weekend.

I don't have many memories of the race except for disappearing in a bog on the run from Thuacar Knott across to Esk Hause, then being shouted at by a load of tourists for going "the wrong way" over the top of Esk Pike.

Ran 3:29 back in 2015... won't be going all guns blazing on saturday, but hoping to clear 3hrs with some ease, assuming i don't get lost in the clouds and end up in Cockley Beck or Wrynose.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Weather forecast is looking a bit grim next few days. Possibly brightening up a little for the weekend.

I don't have many memories of the race except for disappearing in a bog on the run from Thuacar Knott across to Esk Hause, then being shouted at by a load of tourists for going "the wrong way" over the top of Esk Pike.

Ran 3:29 back in 2015... won't be going all guns blazing on saturday, but hoping to clear 3hrs with some ease, assuming i don't get lost in the clouds and end up in Cockley Beck or Wrynose.
    If you're looking for sub 3h, i think the scores between us will be 2-1. I'm looking at 3.5h.

The weekend is looking like an improvement weatherwise, but like Mike said, there is going to be a lot of rain in the meantime and the car park might be soggy. I'm only going up for a dry day really.

Looking forward to sitting near race control and hearing the chatter form the radios and trying to understand what it means for the English Championship.
    All quick and dirty calcs (heavily caveated), and I've not checked start lists fully, but I think this is how it stands:

MOpen: 4 way battle in the Men's - Matt Elkington, Dan Haworth, Ben Rothery and Brenan Townshend. Harry Bolton/Doni Clarke could technically win but would need all the 1st 4 to tank.
    MU23: Harry Bolton sealed.
    MV40: Doni Clarke sealed.
    MV45: Karl Gray, Gav Mulholland and Jebby 3 way battle. Nick Leigh with a medal shout.
    MV50: Karl Gra) sealed (I think)
    MV55: Jon Deegan, John Hunt or Charlie McIntosh in V55.
    MV60: Mark Roberts or Phil Pearson.
    MV65: Likely Billy Proctor as already leading with only 3 counters

WOpen: Sharon Taylor vs. Nicola Jackson, winner takes it all. If neither win and Sharon finishes 2nd it's a tie. Anything less and Nicola wins. It's a shame Hannah Russel is (I understand) injured, as with 3 wins from 3 races on the board, anything better than 7th would have sealed her the championship.
    WU23: Eve Pannone sealed.
    WV40: Sharon Taylor sealed.
    WV45: If Mel Price wins, she ties Lou Osborne's score. Lou can't improve her score (but can knock Mel down)
    WV50: Lou Osborn sealed.
    WV55: Deborah Gowans sealed.
    WV60: Rowena Browne sealed.

Teams:
    Wopen: Helm Hill sealed. Mercia/DP/Calder in with a shout of medals. Dark peak don't have a long score yet so in strongest position. York Knavesmire only if other 3 don't finish a team.
    WV40: If Calder valley or Helm Hill win they win the championship. Todmorden, Bingley and Wharfedale in the medal mix.

Mopen: Keswick sealed. Dark Peak vs. Calder separated by 1 point in 2/3rd; CVFR have more to gain on their other long score.
    MV40: Calder Velley sealed. DPFR currently in 2nd, but Horwich and Helm Hill yet to get a Long score. Keswick could sneak a tie for 3rd if they win and Horwich/Helm don't improve their score
    MV50: Calder Valley sealed. Dark Peak, Helm and Keswick in with a chance of 2/3/4. Cheshire hill races very outside bet (would effectively need helm/Keswick to not score)

2023 races available at the FRA drop-in (14:30 onwards) and AGM (16:00) at Chapel Stile village hall on your way out (and shortly after they'll be on-line).
    Last edited by ba-ba; 06-10-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Looking forward to sitting near race control and hearing the chatter form the radios and trying to understand what it means for the English Championship.
    All quick and dirty calcs (heavily caveated), and I've not checked start lists fully, but I think this is how it stands:

MOpen: 4 way battle in the Men's - Matt Elkington, Dan Haworth, Ben Rothery and Brenan Townshend. Harry Bolton/Doni Clarke could technically win but would need all the 1st 4 to tank.
    MU23: Harry Bolton sealed.
    MV40: Doni Clarke sealed.
    MV45: Karl Gray, Gav Mulholland and Jebby 3 way battle. Nick Leigh with a medal shout.
    MV50: Karl Gra) sealed (I think)
    MV55: Jon Deegan, John Hunt or Charlie McIntosh in V55.
    MV60: Mark Roberts or Phil Pearson.
    MV65: Likely Billy Proctor as already leading with only 3 counters

WOpen: Sharon Taylor vs. Nicola Jackson, winner takes it all. If neither win and Sharon finishes 2nd it's a tie. Anything less and Nicola wins. It's a shame Hannah Russel is (I understand) injured, as with 3 wins from 3 races on the board, anything better than 7th would have sealed her the championship.
    WU23: Eve Pannone sealed.
    WV40: Sharon Taylor sealed.
    WV45: If Mel Price wins, she ties Lou Osborne's score. Lou can't improve her score (but can knock Mel down)
    WV50: Lou Osborn sealed.
    WV55: Deborah Gowans sealed.
    WV60: Rowena Browne sealed.

Teams:
    Wopen: Helm Hill sealed. Mercia/DP/Calder in with a shout of medals. Dark peak don't have a long score yet so in strongest position. York Knavesmire only if other 3 don't finish a team.
    WV40: If Calder valley or Helm Hill win they win the championship. Todmorden, Bingley and Wharfedale in the medal mix.

Mopen: Keswick sealed. Dark Peak vs. Calder separated by 1 point in 2/3rd; CVFR have more to gain on their other long score.
    MV40: Calder Velley sealed. DPFR currently in 2nd, but Horwich and Helm Hill yet to get a Long score. Keswick could sneak a tie for 3rd if they win and Horwich/Helm don't improve their score
    MV50: Calder Valley sealed. Dark Peak, Helm and Keswick in with a chance of 2/3/4. Cheshire hill races very outside bet (would effectively need helm/Keswick to not score)

2023 races available at the FRA drop-in (14:30 onwards) and AGM (16:00) at Chapel Stile village hall on your way out (and shortly after they'll be on-line).
    Thanks Nic - really informative as usual.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

This morning Stavros told me there was a ridge of high pushing over us just in time for this race, so conditions could be clear.

Here's the plan, Travs, you'll wait for me and show me all these sneaky routes on the Bowfell/Crinkles ridge, then we'll race eachother down from the bad step. Seems fair.

This morning Stavros told me there was a ridge of high pushing over us just in time for this race, so conditions could be clear.

Here's the plan, Travs, you'll wait for me and show me all these sneaky routes on the Bowfell/Crinkles ridge, then we'll race eachother down from the bad step. Seems fair.
    As tempting as that sounds MrB, i'm already spotting a few minor flaws

1) My knowledge of sneaky routes doesn't stretch beyond going over Esk Pike, and around the Bad Step!

2) If i try and have a downhill shoot-out with you there's only going to be one winner, and it won't be me!

...i think i'll go for the time-honoured technique of trying to build up a massive lead in the first couple of hours, then hanging on over Pike O Blisco.... after all it worked so well against you at Fairfield Horseshoe 2021 (actually, wait a minute....)

To be honest given my lack of champs points, this is no longer a priority race and i'll be treating it as a good hard run out rather than a life-or-death race.... i should still be capable of going under 3hrs (i did 3:29 back in 2015 when i'd only just started on the fells) but i won't be having any sleepless nights if i lose the odd position here and there...

Bit more granularity on the Men's open:
    - If Dan Haworth or Matt Elkington win, they win the Championship (equal on points at the moment)
    - For Ben Rothery to win overall, he needs to win and Matt/Dan not finish higher than 7th (8th would be a tie); finish 2nd and Dan/Matt need to finish higher than 9th and so on (7 place lead for Ben over Dan/Matt.
    - For Brennan Townshend to win overall, he needs to win and Matt/Dan not finish higher than 4th (5th would be a tie). If Brennan wins Langdale, Ben can't win the champs. If Brenan's 2nd, Matt/Dan need to finish 6th or better (and so on, 4 place gap).

So, it's Matt's locality, nav ability and descending prowess vs. Dan's speed and sheer bloody-mindedness. If they take each other out the door opens for Ben and Brennan - and if all 4 end up at Wrynose, Harry and Doni have a chance!

As for the Women (no real further permutations than I mentioned above), if Nicola can keep Sharon in sight and replicate her final descent at Lower Borrowdale I'd make her favorite, but Sharon has got the better of Nicola at both 3 Peaks and Old Crown Round this season, though they were 6 and 3 months ago respectively. Both are training for the World Champs in 4 weeks, so should be rounding into good form. On paper I don't think there's anyone else on the start list who should take the win, but it could happen and play a part in the direction of the title!
    Last edited by ba-ba; 07-10-2022 at 09:48 AM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy