Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 1164

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Master
    I did the route behind the Crinkles and then over Blisco yesterday - gosh those rocks are slippery - take care!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I did the route behind the Crinkles and then over Blisco yesterday - gosh those rocks are slippery - take care!
    Falls are an everyday part of the sport and I only remember two. One in Kentmere after which I went to hospital and the Crinkles where I slashed my knee open - after which I know I was never as confident again on wet rock.

I also decided that ten Langdales was enough!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 07-10-2022 at 10:36 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Apparently no Ben Rothery or Sharon on the start list.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I had a little jaunt round the Coniston fells this afternoon.

Unfortunately it confirmed the suspicions i've had all week, that the one or two niggles and issues i've picked up recently are not resolved, and only likely to get worse with a strenuous outing tomorrow.

Will make a final decision in the morning, but i expect i'm far more likely to be spectating somewhere around Esk Hause/Three Tarns, than actually lining up at the start.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I had a little jaunt round the Coniston fells this afternoon.

Unfortunately it confirmed the suspicions i've had all week, that the one or two niggles and issues i've picked up recently are not resolved, and only likely to get worse with a strenuous outing tomorrow.

Will make a final decision in the morning, but i expect i'm far more likely to be spectating somewhere around Esk Hause/Three Tarns, than actually lining up at the start.
    Hard lines. I once overheard Sarah Rowell advising a young girl at the trials one year; she said, think of what advice you'd give someone else in the same situation and apply it to yourself. If I bump into you there, I'm a veteran of injury management.

Some fantastic racing on display today.

Plenty of people were out on the course, lots of shouting and "encouragement" of people, it was evident that points and places were still up for grabs.

I made my way up to Angle Tarn and Dan Haworth, Matt Elkington, Brennan Townsend and Doni Clark had broken away from the rest, but themselves were tightly packed... i took the shortcut up to Ore Gap, and by the time they had reached me again via Esk Hause checkpoint, Matt Elkington had pulled out a gap of around 90secs... the other three together but i thought Dan Haworth looked like he was struggling a little.

In the women's race, Nicola Jackson had a huge lead at Bowfell. But i think Hannah Russell trotted round in 2nd thus taking the championship.

Back to the men's, and by the time i'd descended via Three Tarns and The Band, the leaders had came in, Matt Elkington taking the glory, and it appears Dan Haworth dropped out at Crinkle Crags.

Hello to Tindersticks, Charmian and DanGilbert... and well done to MrBrightside coming in well under your predicted time.

Pete

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Some fantastic racing on display today.

Plenty of people were out on the course, lots of shouting and "encouragement" of people, it was evident that points and places were still up for grabs.

I made my way up to Angle Tarn and Dan Haworth, Matt Elkington, Brennan Townsend and Doni Clark had broken away from the rest, but themselves were tightly packed... i took the shortcut up to Ore Gap, and by the time they had reached me again via Esk Hause checkpoint, Matt Elkington had pulled out a gap of around 90secs... the other three together but i thought Dan Haworth looked like he was struggling a little.

In the women's race, Nicola Jackson had a huge lead at Bowfell. But i think Hannah Russell trotted round in 2nd thus taking the championship.

Back to the men's, and by the time i'd descended via Three Tarns and The Band, the leaders had came in, Matt Elkington taking the glory, and it appears Dan Haworth dropped out at Crinkle Crags.

Hello to Tindersticks, Charmian and DanGilbert... and well done to MrBrightside coming in well under your predicted time.

Pete
    Interesting - I wonder what happened to Dan?

It is a shame you were not in the mix Pete - better luck next time.

Cheers Pete, never saw you out on the course. I went over esk like which seemed slower, I'll go under next time. I went round crinkles, but hit rest gill below the red soil strip and never saw any tarns. I passed tindersticks after the bad step, he was having a bad day, not feeling well he said.

I was motoring towards great knot over the boggy grass when I looked up to spy the trod out in the distance. That second my foot caught one of the many rocks peeping out of the grass and I went forward flailing arms everywhere. For a second I thought I had it as I looked down at lumps of granite flying past under my chest, I didn't have it and went down hard. My right quad slammed into a lump of granite and I was brought to an instant stop in a heap in the floor. Pure blunt force trauma, my body weight plus 15mph of speed stopped in a heartbeat by a chunk of Lakelands finest. It hurt, I yelled, people were slowing to see if I was ok. I got up and listened to my body for a few seconds; no joints, tendons or head injury, I'd survived it relatively unscathed. My quad was killing, but I kept going and ran the rest of the way, figuring that if I kept going the muscle pump would keep the inflammation down. Coming off blisco was very painful, my proprioception was a bit out and I had no descending speed. I had blood pissing out of my hand at the finish so I got some first aid, and one of my fingers has now gone purple. My leg is killing me! I clocked 3h13, I've probably got a sub 3h in me with proper preparation.

Cheers to the marshals as always.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Cheers Pete, never saw you out on the course. I went over esk like which seemed slower, I'll go under next time. I went round crinkles, but hit rest gill below the red soil strip and never saw any tarns. I passed tindersticks after the bad step, he was having a bad day, not feeling well he said.

I was motoring towards great knot over the boggy grass when I looked up to spy the trod out in the distance. That second my foot caught one of the many rocks peeping out of the grass and I went forward flailing arms everywhere. For a second I thought I had it as I looked down at lumps of granite flying past under my chest, I didn't have it and went down hard. My right quad slammed into a lump of granite and I was brought to an instant stop in a heap in the floor. Pure blunt force trauma, my body weight plus 15mph of speed stopped in a heartbeat by a chunk of Lakelands finest. It hurt, I yelled, people were slowing to see if I was ok. I got up and listened to my body for a few seconds; no joints, tendons or head injury, I'd survived it relatively unscathed. My quad was killing, but I kept going and ran the rest of the way, figuring that if I kept going the muscle pump would keep the inflammation down. Coming off blisco was very painful, my proprioception was a bit out and I had no descending speed. I had blood pissing out of my hand at the finish so I got some first aid, and one of my fingers has now gone purple. My leg is killing me! I clocked 3h13, I've probably got a sub 3h in me with proper preparation.

Cheers to the marshals as always.
    There is the occasional hidden rock on that trod through the grass above Great Knott - I have gone down there myself - but you have to be unlucky to trip on one rock and land on another.

I was looking through the Langdale thread, and it turns out I have done the race 7 times, not 5, and I went under Esk Pike 3 times and over 4. Are you sure you took the best line when you went over it? A lot of it is runnable grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    There is the occasional hidden rock on that trod through the grass above Great Knott - I have gone down there myself - but you have to be unlucky to trip on one rock and land on another.

I was looking through the Langdale thread, and it turns out I have done the race 7 times, not 5, and I went under Esk Pike 3 times and over 4. Are you sure you took the best line when you went over it? A lot of it is runnable grass.
    I followed the tourist path and saw no grass whatsoever! It was a rocky and slow descent. I take it there is a better route round the back?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent