Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Re: Langdale

After recce'ing the route last Thursday, I've sent my entry in. Long way to come for a fell race, but it's worth it.

Got my entry in too, making this my first Lakes race.

Can't wait, but will be keeping a close eye on the weather after snow forecast on Scottish hills this week

Re Bad Step and all that - last year I turned right at the Crinkle Crags CP to take the so-called "grassy rake". It tuned out not to be that grassy but very stony and quite slow going.
    I think the best route is to turn left before the Bad Step, there is something like a narrow shelf you can run along. I did this one year but wouldnt be sure how to find it again. You come out right beside the bottom of the Bad Step. Any ideas?
    Blisco is the killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
    Re Bad Step and all that - last year I turned right at the Crinkle Crags CP to take the so-called "grassy rake". It tuned out not to be that grassy but very stony and quite slow going.
    I think the best route is to turn left before the Bad Step, there is something like a narrow shelf you can run along. I did this one year but wouldnt be sure how to find it again. You come out right beside the bottom of the Bad Step. Any ideas?
    Blisco is the killer!
    I've decided to take my turn at the Bad Step, not having had an opportunity to reccie alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
    Blisco is the killer!
    Yes, there is a narrow ledge to the left of the Bad Step. I've taken this route in the last 3 years and it is the quickest. That said it is very very dangerous ~ ask AlsoRan. I took him on a recce last year and there was no way he was touching my route ~ one slip and you fall 200 metres to your death. On that basis I hope you appreciate if I don't say any more. A personal recce is best. At the end of the day though, it's a 14 mile race so a detour of a couple of minutes, or a small queue at the Bad Step isn't going to make much difference to your overall time ~ unless you are in 2nd place and you want to win
    See the light in the night

Quote Originally Posted by mapper View Post
    Yes, there is a narrow ledge to the left of the Bad Step. I've taken this route in the last 3 years and it is the quickest. That said it is very very dangerous ~ ask AlsoRan. I took him on a recce last year and there was no way he was touching my route ~ one slip and you fall 200 metres to your death. On that basis I hope you appreciate if I don't say any more. A personal recce is best. At the end of the day though, it's a 14 mile race so a detour of a couple of minutes, or a small queue at the Bad Step isn't going to make much difference to your overall time ~ unless you are in 2nd place and you want to win
    I'm definitely queueing at the bad step then

We were recce-ing the route a few weeks back and took that left route. I'd definitely do it on race day, if I can find it, and if I am racing...

won't be much of a queue if your second anyway

I had another look last week whilst walking with the Mrs - it's not as bad as I first thought - but having said that I'm sticking to the bad step!!

Spoke to the organiser today (which is something I can do quite easily as he lives across the road from me) and he says definately no late entries. He has tried to be flexible in past years and it has just caused problems, so is a bit stricter this year. Come and watch instead. It is entertaining standing at the road crossing at the top of the pass near Blea Tarn, watching the runners coming down the last steep bit of descent off Blisco, legs of jelly after the tough old circuit.

Good luck to everyone taking part.