Page 54 of 117 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: Langdale Horseshoe.

Re: Langdale Horseshoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Anyone tested to see whether it's quicker to go down bad step or go around? I'd have thought bad step was quicker but just curious!
    I haven't tested the alternative, but have been down Bad Step twice and it isn't that bad at all (I wasn't smooth going down it, but that's not saying much). And from what I remember, it's a pretty direct line from the checkpoint to the Bad Step.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Harrison View Post
    Anyone tested to see whether it's quicker to go down bad step or go around? I'd have thought bad step was quicker but just curious!
    if you don't mind a little bit of steep rock I reckon it's quicker unless there is a queue!
    If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Master

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    I haven't tested the alternative, but have been down Bad Step twice and it isn't that bad at all (I wasn't smooth going down it, but that's not saying much). And from what I remember, it's a pretty direct line from the checkpoint to the Bad Step.
    I tried to decide on this last week - but in mist it was difficult to decide which was the main path to the bad step and where the route avoiding it started - the avoiding path is certainly much more runnable, if anything up there can be described in such terms - do they have a marshal directing people one way or the other?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I tried to decide on this last week - but in mist it was difficult to decide which was the main path to the bad step and where the route avoiding it started - the avoiding path is certainly much more runnable, if anything up there can be described in such terms - do they have a marshal directing people one way or the other?
    I'm pretty sure there was no directing. I'd be interested to see the alternative route, but I think the path to the bad Step is pretty short, again from what I remember. Memories are always badly distorted with these things I find!

A tip for hopping off the edge of Bad Step - if you're wearing a bum bag, loosen it and pull it round the front as you approach. This means that you can clamber down the first bit of Bad Step facing forwards (without your bumbag pushing you off) and jump the last bit really easily.

Oh and going down with a border collie on your head slows you down quite a bit

If you're wearing a border collie, loosen it and pull it round the front as you approach.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    A tip for hopping off the edge of Bad Step - if you're wearing a bum bag, loosen it and pull it round the front as you approach. This means that you can clamber down the first bit of Bad Step facing forwards (without your bumbag pushing you off) and jump the last bit really easily.

Oh and going down with a border collie on your head slows you down quite a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    If you're wearing a border collie, loosen it and pull it round the front as you approach.
    Surely the correct technique is to throw the border collie down first to give you a soft landing when you jump off the top?

Avoiding the bad step will definitely be quicker for me unless anyone is prepared to carry me on their head!! I hated it in the recce and would like to take the runnable path if I can find it. If I went via the Bad Step, I can guarantee that it would then be the slowest route for everyone else!!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    Surely the correct technique is to throw the border collie down first to give you a soft landing when you jump off the top?
    Oh, how could you even say that about my gorgeous boy Harry!

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Oh, how could you even say that about my gorgeous boy Harry!
    Looks lovely and soft to me!