Thread: torn achilles

torn achilles

I tore my achilles back in January while mountain biking in Tenerife,I stupidly swung my leg into a cactus bush and ended up with lots of evil needles in the back of my leg and one went very deep into achilles. I didn't get it scanned till March and found out I had a 5mm-7mm tear. Since then I've been doing stretches and massaging the scar tissue lump thing which has helped loads but when on wobble board it feels like a have a knot or lump at bottom of calf,is this normal ?

Also at what point should I start running ? I've been doing short 6 mile road runs and it feels fine while running is this ok ?

Anyone got any other advice ?

Ta Andy

Master

Re: torn achilles

I would have thought that a small tear due to direct focal trauma to the Achilles tendon is very different from a tear due to underlying bio-mechanical imbalances - with the latter there will be concern about underlying generalized weakness in the tendon and a risk of total rupture. The fact that you can run without discomfort suggests that all is well and that you could increase this following the no more than 10% per week rule - and that you could start heading off road - trail to start with. As to the knot/lump sensation when on the wobble board presumably this is in a different spot from the actual tear - and if so I do not know what to make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I would have thought that a small tear due to direct focal trauma to the Achilles tendon is very different from a tear due to underlying bio-mechanical imbalances - with the latter there will be concern about underlying generalized weakness in the tendon and a risk of total rupture. The fact that you can run without discomfort suggests that all is well and that you could increase this following the no more than 10% per week rule - and that you could start heading off road - trail to start with. As to the knot/lump sensation when on the wobble board presumably this is in a different spot from the actual tear - and if so I do not know what to make of it.
    Yea the knott/lump is above the tear I only get it after about 10 mins on wobble board feels a bit like cramp

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    Yea the knott/lump is above the tear I only get it after about 10 mins on wobble board feels a bit like cramp
    May simply be cramp - the calf muscles are off course particularly prone to cramp and the tear may be predisposing to this as can happen with nearby injuries - 10 minutes on a wobble board is pretty impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    May simply be cramp - the calf muscles are off course particularly prone to cramp and the tear may be predisposing to this as can happen with nearby injuries - 10 minutes on a wobble board is pretty impressive!
    Cheers for help Mike I've never been injured before apart from the odd twisted ankle its a whole new experence ie SHITE !