Thread: Clough Head

Clough Head

Sorry about sticking this in the Bg section but thought it would pick up a better reply

Just to the west there is a path marked up via the Quarry from Hill top farm.

Whats the path like and does it actually exist. I'm guiding a group along the ridge next week setting off from Keswick. Don't want to take the BG route as this sees enough traffic and don't want to stick in the extra mileage on the coach road to take the trod from the east if I can help it.

Normally I would pop up and check any bit of the route that wasn't known to me but DofEing every day until I meet the group.

Thanks for any help.

Super Moderator

Re: Clough Head

Don't know answer to your query Ian but Bob's dry-line (through gate to right hand side of fence, to coach-road to West of normal line) followed by an ascent on NE ridge up via White Pike is an interesting, less steep alternative to 'standard' approach
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Under normal conditions this is a great path- it climbs to a flat area below Clough Head at the top of Threlkeld Knots and then goes up diagonally onto the main ridge. It is one of my regular runs.

However, the diagonal path unto the main ridge is north facing and so still covered in snow/ice. this section is quite exposed and I would not take a group along it until all the snow is melted. I hope this helps.

I don't know it myself Ian, but it's worth having a look at Wainwright, preferably the updated Chris Jesty edition. It gives the detail on how to get up two different ways. Either way there's a path of sorts until you hit the summit plateau. The path on the 1:25000 map is Wainwright's "vanilla" route, & then there's a more exciting scramble via Fishers Wife's Rake to the south. Both look good as steep ascents with fresh legs, so since you're starting from Keswick they're a reasonable option. AW does say, however, "A much easier route is by the grass slope up towards White Pike", i.e. the BG route. I wouldn't try to find either from above in the clag though!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Yes the path exists and is pleasant walking. There is a stile on the coach road at about where is says RAM on my map 3190 2312. It goes up a little scree trod onto an originally train route through the quarry. Turn right, go a short distance ( i think less than 10m) and look for another path that goes directly up the hill through trees just to the north of the most southerly ( and largest) quarry. There is another stile at the treeline and then a big stile over the wall further up. You then are on the path as on the map at 3215 2305. Happy hunting.
    UPDATE. I've just come back from Threlkeld and noticed that the tourist path, across the front of Clough Head, appears to cross a bank of snow (approx 30m in width) near the top.
    Last edited by keswicksimon; 09-04-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks all. Usefull to know as its a largish group we'll head up the Ridge to the NE

Entries have opened for Clough Head English Champs - don't miss out on this one everyone https://resultsbase.net/event/4364 It opened at 6pm. Mr&MrsRTS are in. I have obviously lost my mind! Come on Buxton AC!!

Isn't the Bob Graham Round a bit too long for a championship race?
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Isn't the Bob Graham Round a bit too long for a championship race?
    ooops put it in the wrong bit! Have no idea why I am in this section ;-)

Super Moderator
    Grump! An upturn in what was looking like a terminal decline in the forum is one thing, but your return is something else. Welcome back you grumpy b@gger