lemon flavoured sweets from power bar better than jelly babies
    tunnocks caramel wafers
    lots of variety of flapjack bars
    marmite and cheese
    cornish pasties from keswick
    Jaffa cakes
    Hills and Guinness!

Re: Bob Graham food

Someone suggested samosas on another thread so I gave them a go on my last long run, and they went down well. Dried fruit with macadamia nuts mixed in is also a good one.

Ah yes forgot about bannanas. Cheese is a favorite of mine too. Last couple of times out ive tried cheese wrapped in salami and that was nice. On Rotherham50 last year one of the last cps gave us sweet or toffee popcorn and that went down surprisingly well

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Too much sweet and you can feel as sick as a dog but getting any food down (and feeling sick) is preferable to not being able to eat. Cakey dry and savoury stuff and bread can easily become unchewable and unswallowable
    In theory that sounds OK but from experience the vicious cycle of not eating enough, the onset of nausea and then not wanting to eat takes hold. Nausea creeps in after a few hours (for me its so often at about 7 hours onwards). The onset of the nausea's feeling can be delayed/held at bay by eating more early on. But once you feel nauseous eating or fancying anything on a prepared list is really difficult and its often then a case of your support cajoling you and almost forcing you to eat very regularly. Often sweet stuff is the last thing you want so I would definately have available to you some more savoury stuff. Crisps, tiny little squares of thin ham sandwiches that you might chew for ever and have to wash down with water. I would also have someone carry some gels for you as even jelly babies can become revolting and a gel however palatable or not can just do the job you want it to. So it is worth being prepared for the unexpected, as what you fancy now might just not be what you want on your round.

Master

The nausea is because the fuel needed for digestion is being diverted to the muscles, so to prevent/treat the nausea you need to eat more and/or slow down. Prevention is of course better than waiting until the problem develops, but it must be difficult to appreciate the importance of eating early in the round when full of energy and going well.

On my first BG attempt last year, which unfortunately was killed dead by impossible weather on our overnight Dunmail to Threlkeld leg 4 (anticlockwise), I suffered really badly from nausea after Bowfell. I had been eating a fair amount of sweet stuff (I haven't been able to eat a jelly baby since ) but discovered a fantastic cure - mini pringles! I just ate about 10 of them very slowly as I was trogging between Calf Crag and Steel Fell and felt much much better. Savoury and salty is a fantastic antidote and its easier in small mouthfuls.
    Last edited by Stolly; 17-04-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blencathrafrommykitchen View Post
    wot no bananas?
    Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Jaffa cakes
    If you could 'be bothered' to read my original post you will see that both are already on the list

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    On my first BG attempt last year, which unfortunately was killed dead by impossible weather on our overnight Dunmail to Threlkeld leg 4 (anticlockwise), I suffered really badly from nausea after Bowfell. I had been eating a fair amount of sweet stuff (I haven't been able to eat a jelly baby since ) but discovered a fantastic cure - mini pringles! I just ate about 10 of them very slowly as I was trogging between Calf Crag and Steel Fell and felt much much better. Savoury and salty is a fantastic antidote and its easier in small mouthfuls.
    I see they are on your list. Looks like they are your magic ingredient for success. Instead of jelly babies have you thought of Sour Sweets? Good luck with the weather this time and hope you romp it.