Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham food

Re: Bob Graham food

I usually eat mostly sweet stuff on long runs but couldn't even put a piece of flapjack in my mouth on my BG, it felt weird. I did have a cornish pasty on leg 2 which I nibbled on for quite a while and Paul fed me small pieces of peanut butter sandwich and banana on leg 3 which went down well. I had the occassional gel, some haribo sweets and a turkish delight on leg 4 which was delicious. Clare fed me rice pudding whilst we were climbing Great Gable which was very funny as it kept blowing off the spoon! I also had some cold sausage at one point. I drank a bottle of High 5 2:1 energy drink on each leg. It's very gentle on the stomach, does the job superbly and not sweet and sticky at all. I've known people eat cold boiled potatoes and even boiled eggs! Not sure I could've stomached an egg. The key I think is to eat little and often and a good variety of foods then you won't need to stop so long at the road support. The only 'big' meal and sit down I had was at Wasdale where I had veg soup and a bread roll.
    Last edited by LM; 17-04-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Wynne has probably fed more runners on more rounds than anyone. Far as I can see, porridge, bacon and eggs and a good wholesome stew halfway round. All good solid food seems to work, and if the runner is not up to eating it the pacers polish everything off!
    Worth noting that on Jez Braggs recent 3000k ultra in New Zealand he ate solid food all the way, no energy drinks, gels etc.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Worth noting that on Jez Braggs recent 3000k ultra in New Zealand he ate solid food all the way, no energy drinks, gels etc.
    Yes Jez copies me with peanut butter and jam sandwiches too

Oh and cold boiled potatoes sounds a great idea Mrs S (couldn't do with energy drinks or gels though)

Not really sure how good energy drinks are but everytime I drank some, I imagined it seeping down into my legs and giving me lots of energy.....it worked for me. Funny how the mind works on these things.
    Linda Murgatroyd, Calder Valley Fell Runners

Super Moderator

Carry nothing youself except maybe some of your preferred painkillers in your pocket

Squirms and Shot Bloks are great for leg 4 and onwards when you really don't want to eat anything at all. Tiny 'one-bite' sarnies with moist filling (tuna mayo) are good as are Tunnocks. I've heard good reports about Jaffa Cakes but haven't tried them myself

Bags of mixed sweets (anything you can think of that you like) are good. Marshmallows are easy to get down when even the thought of a bite of a Mars bar is too much
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Don't underestimate the power of mint cake. I was given some towards the end of Leg 3 when I really didn't want to eat anything at all and it tasted delicious, in fact Rick Air ran ahead to Wasdale to tell my support to buy more from the NT campsite shop! I can also attest to the effectiveness of Linda's High 5 2:1 recommmendation, she brought a bottle for me on Leg 4 and it really did go down easily.

This might have been mentioned before, but make sure you have something easy to get down for your pit stops at Wasdale and Honister. On attempt #1 I tried to eat a bacon and sausage roll at Wasdale but ended up throwing most of it away halfway up Yewbarrow (actually, I think someone ate it for me but you get the picture). For my second attempt I had a mug of soup with a soft bread roll at Wasdale and it hit the spot perfectly.

I think that your food/eating are things that are most difficult to train for on a Bob Graham Round, as unless you are doing really long days out at high intensity you will not experience the total appetite shutdown that occurs. It's a vicious circle and one you have to deal with.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Stagger View Post
    Not really sure how good energy drinks are but everytime I drank some, I imagined it seeping down into my legs and giving me lots of energy.....it worked for me. Funny how the mind works on these things.
    There is some evidence that the mouth can communicate the presence of carbohydrate directly to the brain, and, knowing that fuel is on the way, the brain permits an increased level of exertion, felt as an energy surge. If you have a long way to go you do of course need to swallow what is in your mouth, but if, say you are 10 mins from the finish you could in fact spit it out.

Peanut butter and jam wraps(they don't fall apart) A bit more protein near the end seems to to help me as did a less sweet drink. Nuun?

Boiled minted Potatoes left to cool in salted butter hmmmm

Also plain bread. every one gets a bit sick at some point esp with all that sweet stuff. plain bread allows you to eat and settle your stomache. good flavours are great but some times the blandest of food will help a dicky tum.

hi steve i will get you 1 of those giant jaffas and give you at wasdale then you will be pushing me up that blasted yewbarrow, i will be getting some smaller ones for my legs
    Last edited by vespa; 17-04-2013 at 06:37 PM.

Boiled spuds in salt and butter work well for me on big days. That and the ubiquitous snakes.

Martyn: I feel like i missed out on half a bacon sandwich now!