Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Grin and Bear it

Grin and bear it

Having recently run and survived the Totley Exterminator I would like to have a go at another L class race.

They are a similar distance, but the Grin and bear it race is a B rather than an A. I know that the Exterminator was a relatively mild A (or so I am told), however, for me this was home ground which helped.

Have anyone got a route map or description for the Grin and bear it race? Any advise, etc. I assume that the route will not be marked and will be based on check points. Any water stations / jelly baby stops provided?

Thanks

Re: Grin and bear it

Hello Simon,

See the thread started a few weeks back on this race:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2417

Also, the Woodhead Moutain Rescue web site for entry form:
    http://www.woodheadmrt.org/home.htm

How well do you know the terrain around Langsett Barn area?

See you there!

Smile Re: Grin and bear it

Thanks for this. I missed the earlier thread or was not feeling brave enough! Found the route description and will now enjoy working out a route on the map.

See the thread started a few weeks back on this race:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2417

Also, the Woodhead Moutain Rescue web site for entry form:
    http://www.woodheadmrt.org/home.htm

See this, but hoped I could enter on the day.

How well do you know the terrain around Langsett Barn area?

Not very well at all. My last visit was probably my DoE Expedition when we got completely lost very quickly! This was along time ago and (I think) my navigation skills are better (and I will not be carry a massive rucksack).

See you there!

I hope so!

Thumbs up Re: Grin and bear it

Simon, the 1st 4 miles (ish) are on the main bridleway heading towards Slippery Stones, difficult to go wrong but not impossible.
    Turn right at Cut Gate summit, marked with a large cairn, and head for Outer Edge trig point.
    Watch out for the bog monster in the top end of Bull Clough, usually claims at least one victim per year .
    There will be a number of Woodhead MRT members on duty to pull the unfortunates out, or at least have a laugh .
    From Outer Edge to Featherbed Moss, an area that could be a navigational challenge, will be flags, the visibility on the day dictates how usefull these will be.
    Checkpoint at Featherbed will be manned and the marshalls, again WMRT members, will point you in the correct direction, to get you to Lady Cross and the Woodhead summit where copious amounts of scran are available.
    The route after the Woodhead summit is a little more fell, but on a well trodden path until having crossed an ancient bridge, the path takes a left at the next, and I think only, tree to head over to a gate and back onto a well walked path the descends, climbs, descends and then climbs again to Windle Edge.
    The only other bit where people had slight challenges was through the woods after the Flouch crossroads.
    This bit will be flagged to point you back to Langset Barn.
    I can not guarantee that nobody will got wrong somewhere but we are going to do our best to limit the chances.
    See you on Saturday .

Thanks for the route. Together with info from the previous thread to which I was directed and a PM from IanDarkPeak I should be OK. I have not managed to get lost on a race so far, but there is always a first time....

I will pack a snorkel for the 'wet bits' although having size 12 feets general helps to spread the weight!

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Thanks for the route. Together with info from the previous thread to which I was directed and a PM from IanDarkPeak I should be OK. I have not managed to get lost on a race so far, but there is always a first time....

I will pack a snorkel for the 'wet bits' although having size 12 feets general helps to spread the weight!
    I'll be heading out in an hour to run the first half of the G&B. I'll let you know how wet it is when(if?) I get back.

I won't be racing the route unfortuanately but I will be running sweep from the summit of cut gate after the runners have passed through.

Ian

Yes it's wet not quite as bad as last year but for those too fast to look where they are going or too rash will soon find the bogmonster beckoning.

Going out for another look tonight, it's raining so I guess it will be even wetter.

Ian

Master

How much do we get in the way of food on the route? ie, how much do we need to take with us?

Hi All,

Could anyone post a grid reference for the start/finish. I know where Langsett reservoir is and the wagon and horses pub, I'm just unsure of where Langsett Barn is.

Cheers

Hi Pawa, grid ref. is 211 005, but its easy to find, its at the back of the Langsett car park off the A616 (RH side of road coming from the Flouch).