Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best dog for running and kids

Best dog for running and kids

We sadly had to have our 13 year old labrador put to sleep last week. I've been wondering what breed of dog would make a good family pet and running partner. Unfortunately I only started running after our old girl started suffering with arthritis. Any recommendations?

Re: Best dog for running and k

My Lakeland terrier will run loads of miles but is also happy to sit around in the sun all day, good with the kids, typical 'rascally' terrier but not yappy:thumbup:

how old are the kids? i'd say colliexlab.. sane version of a collie..

Kids are 2 & 7 both really missing their labrador

Quote Originally Posted by Markollyh View Post
    We sadly had to have our 13 year old labrador put to sleep last week. I've been wondering what breed of dog would make a good family pet and running partner. Unfortunately I only started running after our old girl started suffering with arthritis. Any recommendations?
    We had a 5 year break after our old dog left us. We replaced him with the same cross - Rottweiller x German Shepherd - and Blue is just fabulous. Runs forever, great with everyone except he's a bit boisterous and the worst he'll do is knock you over. Puppyhood was challenging as he ate everything but he's now such a valued family member who runs and plays hard!

Merlin's a springer/poodle cross. Good for up to 25 miles (so far), great with the kids & highly entertaining. H'e stopped chasing vans, horses, cows, & now we're working on sheep & ducks.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

You could consider a German Wire Hair Pointer,

They are built from the ground up as an endurance machine, in Germany you can only breed your GWP if it meets strict breed standards that ensure the dog is able to work all day. They are breed like all pointers and setters for running all day on the moors.

I have ran with mine all day on the hill along with my mates Collie, and the collie is lying on the ground knacked after the day while the GWP is still running around. Mine are super with kids, but also bark if anybody comes around the house. Being a working dog (Gundog) like a Labrador they are also breed for their biddable nature making training easier.
    Any of the HPR Hunter Pointer Retriever breeds would make good pets and running dogs, True pointers and setters are not quite as intelligent as HPRs in my experiance.

A good friend of mine is ex- world and European sledge dog racing champion, his dogs are ¾ pointer ¼ husky, it is the pointer at gives it the ability to run all day at speed while the Husky installs that wish to haul the sledge and follow the lead dog.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Tahr; 24-04-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Had Barney the border terrier for a year. Loves running. Really soft and fantastic with kids. Hardly barks. Good to train if a tad wilful. Doesn't take up much room either. Spotted a couple at anniversary waltz on Saturday. Good luckf

I thought using the word “train and terrier” in the same sentence was an oxymoron :wink:, even when applied to a Boarder terrier.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Attachment 6927
    Top notch running mate made out of 50% Labrador and 50% springer. Good for 20 miles whilst carrying half a tree in its mouth.