Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A long BG reccie tomorrow

alwaysinjured

Re: A long BG reccie tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Ah that's great thanks Huw Might be worth a go then.

Ooh, just realised I've not been up Lords Rake before. Do BGRers who go this way take the West Wall Traverse or continue straight up the Rake and then head back to the summit?
    Straight up was more popular than the WWT

re long reccie, chickened out.

Went from dunmail to rosset. Bowfell and hanging knotts were in clag, was cold and knackered so thought better of it.

No particular route discoveries other than to say, many of the trods that used to be faint are now massive. Not at all convinced that the path to seargant man is the best on offer & still wonder whether - high raise- sergeant is not the better order.

Checked out the high raise to calfcrag as a descent and it is a pleasant run down, although it would be a bit tussocky boggy as an ascent.

If you havent done this section before Mr1740 a couple of things to bear in mind:

There is a trod thru the bracken to steel fell that follows the gully in line with the stile. Hang a left at the top. Stay close to the fence line from steel fell. I have tried a variety of other things, but that seems to be the least worst option!. Trust your compass to calf crag after the tarn - you wonder whether the ridge to your left is calf crag. It isnt, follow the path, and calf crag is hidden behind a bulge on the skyline. Once down at the col from calf crag.The path to sergeant man is off to the left of the stream gulley. You will see what I mean when you get there. Nobody ( I have found) knows which is the top of thunakar: The best running line to harrison is left of the straight line. The best ascent of harrison is at the centre then left to the top. Backtrack, then go well to the right of the path to aim at pike of stickle ( you can cross the stream at the bottom, if you look carefully, honest.) I think the best descent of the pike is more or less in the direction of rosset, although it starts with a bit of a scramble: it is not as hard as a backtrack. The best line from pike is probably right of the path to start with, crossing later. BUT if I made a discovery it was this. I tried dropping 100 feet down the scree, then started a traverse towards martcrag, and although I didnt solve all the rock problems, I think there may be a good running route there. Dont try it yet, but watch this space. Some people swear by the path round the ridge to rosset, others use the langdale race route.
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 12-07-2007 at 03:55 PM.

That's fantastic info, thanks AI Looking forward to getting out there and will, of course, take a copy of your notes to follow!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Well, after a nice long run at the weekend from Dunmail,

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinjured View Post
    No particular route discoveries other than to say, many of the trods that used to be faint are now massive.
    You're right there!! Although it was the first time I'd been across here, I could clearly see the runners' trods!

And the route up through the crags of Bowfell.....not only obvious on the ground, but cairned!!

I think I came out a bit early (it was thick clag!) near Hanging Knotts rather than on the "grassy plateau" mentioned.

Not at all convinced that the path to seargant man is the best on offer & still wonder whether - high raise- sergeant is not the better order.
    I think you might be right. I stuck to the SM > HR just because I hadn't done it before but my mountain sense was desperately trying to drag me up the obvious route to High Raise first. I'll try that next time.

Trust your compass to calf crag after the tarn - you wonder whether the ridge to your left is calf crag. It isnt, follow the path, and calf crag is hidden behind a bulge on the skyline.
    I see what you mean. I trusted it!

The path to sergeant man is off to the left of the stream gulley. You will see what I mean when you get there.
    I saw what you meant here as well!!

Some people swear by the path round the ridge to rosset, others use the langdale race route.
    I used the langdale race route....but didn't realise quite how far along the ridge the top was so cut up too early onto bouldery ground. Reading through notes again, it's better to get almost level with the top before heading up isn't it?

Twas a great day anyway Was hoping to have headed over Scafell Pike and Scafell as well but the clag was right down and I spent a fair amount of time working out the way on Bowfell so I cut down to Langdale from Esk Hause. Next time......
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I'd get a rope on Broad Stand or use Foxes Tarn. I love the West Wall Traverse, but it is not really worth the risk IMHO, esp when there are alternatives.

Foxes is not all that bad and is safe as houses.

I supported a BGR in May (in great weather) and they made excellent time on the Foxes Tarn route. I used Broad Stand on my round and it was slow going getting four of us up, althought it was foul out.

I'm not sure we were any faster than we would have been on Foxes now i think about it with 20:20 hindsight.

Whatever you do, good luck!

ST