Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast

Thread: Ras Y Gader/Cader Idris

Nice one Pete.

I donated my place to someone on Facebook as couldn't make it this year. But a race I'd love to do soon.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Finally ran the race yesterday which had been postponed from both 2020 and 2021. A real mix of weather made for interesting conditions - dry start, windy/wet/mist on the top and sunny, hot and humid on the way down.
    I managed 2:09 for 97th place which given I'm still on an injury rehab program and not pushing it, I was quite pleased with. A few aches and pains today but nothing broken so hopefully I'll get some more races in soon.

Had a great weekend as well - we went up on Friday and got a lovely walk in the late evening sun above Bala. After the race we headed out to the coast, took the dog on a walk along the beach in glorious sunshine and then had a fantastic campervan curry watching the waves.
    Today saw a beautiful B road trip back via the Breidden Hills for another walk before home
    Apart from the tarmac at the start and finish it is great race. Was that Steel Band making a racket this year?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I don't mind the tarmac at the start - at least it is up a reasonable incline - but the last 2k on tired legs are horrible.
    Yes the Samba drummers (Batala) were there in force again bringing a carnival atmosphere to the whole event. Unfortunately the dog didn't appreciate their efforts..

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Nice one Pete.

I donated my place to someone on Facebook as couldn't make it this year. But a race I'd love to do soon.
    I think others have said on here that it's not the best route up Cadair which is undoubtedly true. However, it does stand out mainly due to the atmosphere in Dolgellau. There is plenty going on with the earlier fun run and entertainment and the support from the local community both in the town and up on the mountain is fantastic.
    Definitely worth the trip.

Also worth a recce for a good descent line from the top to Rhiw Gwredydd. A lot of runners go wide and low, following the fence line to the south which although further is mainly on grass and avoids the rougher path sections and boulders. Probably gains you a minute or two?

I agree Pete, the atmosphere in town certainly adds something to the race. And yes, the lower grassy line for the descent every time as long as the correct line is taken to reach it because there is a short section of loose ankle snapping rocks with grass growing through them which can really slow you down.

As for the best route up Cadair my favourite is a horseshoe from Minffordd on the Southern side which takes in Penygadair and Mynydd Moel. Not very runnable for the most part as it is so steep but the most scenic. Ideal for a great 3/4hrs walk and on a nice day a refreshing dip in Llyn Cau!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    As for the best route up Cadair my favourite is a horseshoe from Minffordd on the Southern side which takes in Penygadair and Mynydd Moel. Not very runnable for the most part as it is so steep but the most scenic. Ideal for a great 3/4hrs walk and on a nice day a refreshing dip in Llyn Cau!
    While idly browsing a few weeks ago, I came across a race that does go up Cadair Idris from the Minffordd side: https://www.cadairx.co.uk . Unfortunately, a half-marathon is a bit long for me these days; after coming off the mountain to Llanfihangel-y-Pennant, I would end up walking the last 5km at a pace slower than Mary Jones when she famously went that way on her walk to Bala.

What would be a really good race would a short blast from Minffordd, up via Llyn Cau on the shortest route to the summit and back along the Minffordd path.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Thanks Anthony, good spot.

I don't like lining the pockets of professional race organisers but as it is Cadair I am thinking of making an exception in this case and it fits in with other plans. Hoping to round up two or three others and fingers crossed that I'll be injury free.

Agreed, really enjoyed doing this race. It was boiling hot when I did it in, I think 2009. I sorta like that it goes up a different way from the "best" hike, as it gave me a different view. : )

There's so many races to compete for this (and the next weekend) though. OCT, Jura...

Entries opened today for WFRA members (it's included in the WFRA championship this year) and then on general sale from 23rd.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Entries opened today for WFRA members (it's included in the WFRA championship this year) and then on general sale from 23rd.
    See you there Pete.