Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ras Y Gader/Cader Idris

Cader Idris

What's are the paths like underfoot on this race? Specifically how rough is the pony path?

I'm still not fully trusting the stability of my ankle so want to pick my races for the next month or so, but this looks like it may be a goer.

Also as it's mainly on paths what footwear do people go with? Are road shoes preferable, or are the paths still rocky and muddy enough to stick with proper fell shoes?

Thanks

Iain

Re: Cader Idris

It's a mixture. The first section is on roads. Last year, there was a total swamp by the lake, then it is a rocky path all the way to the summit. I seemed to remember that the rocky path was the sort of thing where you could jump from rock to rock rather than worry about small rocks moving under your feet. That may be an unreliable recollection though. The descent is the same as the ascent, but you can cut some of the zig zags off by running through the heather.

I'd have thought that trail shoes would be OK and running shoes might be. You won't get much traction by the lake in road shoes, but I don't think anything would give you traction in swamp conditions.

I did it with an unstable knee last year and took a couple of huge flying lobs at the top. I still have flashbacks of my face potentially being rearranged on a boulder (my face missed, my hand didn't).

It's a great race with a great atmosphere and well supported by friends, families and tourists.

Paths easy, smooth, not rough, bit rocky at the top but not much. Lots on the road so i would wear trail or road shoes not walshes. Very dry when we were going through there at the begining of May, no lakes!

Llyn Gwernan dried out in early May? Last year, we were actually running through the lake on race day as it had risen above the path.

Ah, didn't go down there!

Trail shoes it is then. Useful info that folks, thanks.

This'll be my first ever fell race on a 'mountain'. Though I have done some in Shropshire, Peak District, and the LDMTA Mountain Trial. I'm very slow indeed, but chose this as it seems popular, and I hoped that there would be quite a few runners, and I wouldn't be too far off the back.

I'm concerned about the cut-off at 1hr 15mins. I think it'll be very tight indeed whether I can make it. Does anyone know how strictly it's enforced? Would they let you through if they can see you coming? I'd anticipated my overall time as being around 2.45. There have been people finishing in around 3hrs some years, so I have to presume they made the cut-off.
    I think I'll walk this bit....

You should be OK, some races have been very tightly enforced, but others not so. It really depends on the organisers and I think the weather on the day.

Cheers Iain. I'll definitely be having a go anyway (along with my pal, who is a complete first timer, but recent marathon runner!)

The first 1.5 miles on road will be a big help in meeting the cut-off. I reckon this bit will take around 20+ minutes, and then 50 minutes up to CP3. So you can see it will be very very tight indeed.

I notice the rules are asking for full WATERPROOF body cover. Do you know if they'll accept the usual montane windproofs, or does it have to be waterproof? Could be a problem for my pal
    I think I'll walk this bit....

i cant sem to find any info on this race - checkpoints cut offs - any clues anyone? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daleside View Post
    i cant sem to find any info on this race - checkpoints cut offs - any clues anyone? thanks

Clue. You're away!

http://www.cader-race.co.uk/