Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: Ras Y Gader/Cader Idris

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    See you there Pete.
    I hope so. I may not being doing many more of the WFRA championship races but I'm going to make a conscious effort to do more Welsh races this year as I have done very few races in Wales even though for me it's nearer than the Lakes etc.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

A scorcher on Saturday for this years run which was the 4th Welsh Champs race of 2023. I had forgotten how long the tarmac stretch at the start was, a mile and a half, and it felt even longer on the way back to the finish on empty legs.

I really enjoyed the rest of it despite the heat but lost a few seconds at each stream crossing, two up and two down, as I stopped for a capful of refreshing mountain water to pour over my head.

I also used the old trick of smearing a line of Vaseline across both eyebrows and the outside of the eye sockets. It worked, as the first bead of sweat only entered one eye as I crossed the finishing line!

It didn't make me any quicker than my last attempt in 2018, finishing 5 minutes slower in 2hr 4min 47 sec, 85th o/a and 3rd M60. My aim was to get under 2hs again but happy enough given the heat and I can handle a minute a year decline!

The winner was Finlay Grant of Dark Peak (u23) in 1.26.31 and the first lady was Sara Willhoit of Mercia, 13th o/a in 1.36.15

Rehydration was achieved with a fantastic Citra Pale Ale 3.4% from Robinsons outside The Royal Ship Hotel watching the world go by.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Well done, Llani. Another great run.
    I won't say I enjoyed the race - I didn't and have decided this was my last though whether that holds up, who knows! The heat was the main factor and when we reached the zigzags, I was hoping a breeze and cooler air may arrive but no. A struggle from there in not helped by (yet another) fall on the way down. No serious damage but it does the confidence no good. Happy enough with 2:16 given the circumstances but I doubt I'll be getting anywhere near my previous best of 2:02 again. The positives I will take are that I least got a PB on some of the early Strava segments including the road section so not all bad.
    A great weekend in all as well. Weather was amazing, first sunburn of the year, lovely walk/meal on the beach Saturday evening and great walk from lake Vyrnwy on the way home.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I won't say I enjoyed the race - I didn't and have decided this was my last though whether that holds up, who knows!
    I assume you mean that this might be you're last Ras Y Gader rather than last fell race. Hope so.

You had a decent run Pete. Looking at Strava we were neck and neck on the road section with you pulling ahead around the lake and to just below the zig zags where I overtook you. I didn't recognise you or I'd have said hello. I think I was just looking a the ground in front of me by that stage, not wanting to look up and see what was ahead!

Yes, a tumble does knock ones confidence. Hopefully I'll see you at perhaps a less gnarly race later in the
    year.

Well done Llani and Pete.

Llani you beat some decent guys in younger categories.... when i first started racing round Shropshire and South Wales i had some good battles with Dave Powell from Aberwystwyth. Actually he might be in your category now.

I assume you mean that this might be you're last Ras Y Gader rather than last fell race. Hope so.

You had a decent run Pete. Looking at Strava we were neck and neck on the road section with you pulling ahead around the lake and to just below the zig zags where I overtook you. I didn't recognise you or I'd have said hello. I think I was just looking a the ground in front of me by that stage, not wanting to look up and see what was ahead!

Yes, a tumble does knock ones confidence. Hopefully I'll see you at perhaps a less gnarly race later in the
    year.
    Yes probably just my last Ras Y Gader. There's a lot of positives to this race but I've done it a few times now and that box is well and truly ticked. It's certainly not my last ever fell race - indeed, I had planned to do more Welsh races this year which is something I've not really done before but work and family commitments have put pay to that. Hopefully will do some new ones in the not too distant future.

BTW - were you one of the Matlock AC runners? If so, I think I passed you on the road section and you were parked practically next to us - we have an orange VW campervan (and a very barky collie!)
    Last edited by PeteS; 23-05-2023 at 12:58 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Thanks Travs.

Yes, Dave is in my category and beat me in the Ras Barcud Coch trail half marathon. I think he is concentrating on longer, slower events like Ultras nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post

BTW - were you one of the Matlock AC runners? If so, I think I passed you on the road section and you were parked practically next to us - we have an orange VW campervan (and a very barky collie!)
    Yes I was. I exchanged a few words with a lady sat in the back of the VW with a collie. I assume she was your other half (the lady not the collie)

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well done Llani and Pete.

Llani you beat some decent guys in younger categories....
    Thanks Pete.
    Had me well and truly beaten!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Yes I was. I exchanged a few words with a lady sat in the back of the VW with a collie. I assume she was your other half (the lady not the collie)
    The one with the grey hair is my wife. ;-)

Well I know who I am looking out for now and you obviously can't miss my van. Don't have any other races in the calendar at the moment but four fans is a possibility.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast