Thread: Paddy Buckley Y Garn-Craig Wen

Paddy Buckley Y Garn-Craig Wen

OK I asked this before, but just wanted to know what a few others thought.

At the weekend I finally did the start of the Snowdon leg, but I left the car at Rhydd Dhu for convenience, ran up the track to the Bwlch between Yr Aran and the South Ridge until one of the last walls, around 2 gates in, and then followed the wall to cross the river, then headed directly towards the col between Craig Wen and Yr Aran, crossing the fence high up and then truning right to go to CW. I walked all the way after the track and still managed this in 45 minutes, including a chat to someone I knew who i met enroute. The guide says 64 (RT's book).

So I am tempted for this, it will be dusk/dark when I come onto this section and it seems navigationally simple the way I went.

Has anyone done both routes? what's the time difference?

The other route is Y Garn > Pont Caer Gors > Craig Wen.

According to memory map when I put the routes in there's a minute or so's difference.

Cheers

Iain

Re: Paddy Buckley Y Garn-Craig

I seem to remember some barbed wire shenanigans following the wall down to the river crossing... and have another hole in my leggings to remember it by. Seemed like a good route otherwise; up to the col for me too. As I was just out for a pootle (and I'm in a different league to you Iain) I didn't time it. It's an unexpected delight the ridge up to Yr Aran though...good luck!

Yeah, it's not an easy fence to get over, especially throwing 2 dogs over as well. Lovely ridge and so quiet, never had anyone with me on Yr Aran, but this was my first time on Craig Wen.

It's a real treat eh. A tiny rollercoaster of unexpected delight :-) that always makes me smile. I'm suprised RT doesn't go all lyrical over it more.

I may be up in the area on saturday so I'll try the other way - my time will be like yours plus about 100% so easy to work out!

Alan Duncan (Bowland) is doing a paddy on 11? August.
    When all else fails and your soul needs a lift - head to the hills

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    OK I asked this before, but just wanted to know what a few others thought.

At the weekend I finally did the start of the Snowdon leg, but I left the car at Rhydd Dhu for convenience, ran up the track to the Bwlch between Yr Aran and the South Ridge until one of the last walls, around 2 gates in, and then followed the wall to cross the river, then headed directly towards the col between Craig Wen and Yr Aran, crossing the fence high up and then truning right to go to CW. I walked all the way after the track and still managed this in 45 minutes, including a chat to someone I knew who i met enroute. The guide says 64 (RT's book).

So I am tempted for this, it will be dusk/dark when I come onto this section and it seems navigationally simple the way I went.

Has anyone done both routes? what's the time difference?

The other route is Y Garn > Pont Caer Gors > Craig Wen.

According to memory map when I put the routes in there's a minute or so's difference.

Cheers

Iain
    The descent from Y Garn to Pont Cae'r gors is quite easy. From there follow the wall (S side) to Graig Wen. It is easy to navigate and quicker than the route through Rhyd Ddu. You must recce the forest track to Pont Cae'r gors.
    Yiannis
    PS: Alan Duncan starts from Pont Cae'r gors on Aug 10th, 23:30. Any volunteers for that section? (just help, no navigation).

That's when I'm looking at doing it, as long as I can get good weather.

Did the Glyders and Carneddau on Sunday on my own in 6.5 hrs and fekt quite strong.

Very slippy under foot, is there a quick way to the G. fach summit pile? I was all over the show there.

Was looking at a 10.30 am start from capel, now thinking about starting at the end of the descent of Cnicht, run the road section to nantmor while fresh, then onto Bryn Banog/Hebog. This means I get the Glyders section in 6 hrs earlier, almost 40% of the total height gain is in the Glyders and Carneddau legs, very rough ground too.

Will have a look at the link up again, I had a quick look on Saturday and the track through the woods was VERY boggy, so may stick to original plan.

Cheers