Thread: Training whilst injured

Training whilst injured

I went over on my ankle about a week ago and where as its not painfully at all to walk on there's a bit of soreness when trying to run. Trouble is I've already lost a lot of what fitness I had and don't want to become a couch potatoe.
    should I suffer the soreness and get back to it ?
    If not, then what can I do to keep ticking over, bearing in mind I do not have a bike, don't use a gym and don't swim

Cheers

Re: Training whilst injured

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    I went over on my ankle about a week ago and where as its not painfully at all to walk on there's a bit of soreness when trying to run. Trouble is I've already lost a lot of what fitness I had and don't want to become a couch potatoe.
    If not, then what can I do to keep ticking over, bearing in mind I do not have a bike, don't use a gym and don't swim

Cheers
    Speaking as someone who is currently suffering badly with knee tendonitis, the lead-up to which started with an ankle injury, i would be doing a robust program of squats and dips every day. You can hit your aerobic system on a Concept 2 rower- google 'The Pete Plan'.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Re: Training whilst injured

Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post

Cheers
    You injured yourself just one week ago? its unlikely you've lost 'a lot of what fitness' you had in just one week, or that you've become a 'couch potatoe' because of one injury. couch-potato-ism is a mental attitude. injury is a blip that affects people who are fit and active at some point or other.
    if you want to 'suffer the soreness and get back to it' then go for it. it's your leg/ankle/body.
    if you want to rehab properly and come back stronger then you probably need to rest and do some rehab. you have to decide what you want to do. the period of time for rest and rehab is totally dependent on how severe the injury was, and what you do in the meantime, as well as what strength work you already do, your nutrition/hydration and general health.
    If it were me, I'd be doing any activity that didn't cause pain in the injured area, or risk causing more damage to the area by causing it stress (physiologically).
    Lynne