Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Claire's Bob Graham Report

Re: Claire's Bob Graham Report

Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    Can we get more technical information about the tracker system?
    Can it provide distance run, split distances and times, and pace information, including rates of ascent and descent?
    We are looking at some of this kind of data at the moment. At the moment we can just export the GPX file, needless to say anyone can import this in to a mapping programme to do the analysis but get that it be cool to see this online. Its a great test bench for this technology.. any more BG hamsters PM me. James

Quote Originally Posted by howfast View Post
    We are looking at some of this kind of data at the moment. At the moment we can just export the GPX file, needless to say anyone can import this in to a mapping programme to do the analysis but get that it be cool to see this online. Its a great test bench for this technology.. any more BG hamsters PM me. James
    Interesting.. whats the battery life? any details on it online?

Sorry to hijack Claires thread.. well done.

The standard set up is on 90 second updates, tracker will last about 30 hrs. www.opentracking.co.uk but subject to having enough, happy to lend free to BGers. We can extend the battery life both with an external battery pack (as used on TERREX 5 Day Adventure Race where they lasted over 5 days) or change to a longer interval. For a C2C relay this weekend, tweaking the interval to 2 min, to cover 40 hrs. James

The important thing is how much does it weigh?
    I suspect its something to be carried by support rather than the contender?
    Have thought about something like this for Scottish trips but suspect the mobile coverage would be poor (this probably needs a new thread)

Well done Claire I know all about carrying on when you are not going to make 24 hours it takes a lot of will power!
    Bill

Yep perhaps a new thread.. sorry Claire.

60g or weight of a gel or a baby bel or ??

Just have to be really careful with supporters carrying the tracker, had one situation a few years ago on an old system we were trialling (useless tracker it was, kept switching itself off randomly), where a pacer was carrying the tracker and couldn't keep up so was taking the odd short cut and not reaching the tops. Let you read in to what forum thread would look like if that happened.

In the Stirling TERREX event I'd suspect we had about 90-95% coverage for the 5 day event which went through some pretty remote areas. Found that we could get tracking (or GPRS) connection when a phone conversation not workable. We are trialling some different SIM's (have one on order from Manx Telecom that roams on Vodafone and Orange).

Claire: seriously impressed that you had the mental strength to complete even though you knew that you wouldn't make the 24hrs. The ultimate demonstration that you're not a quitter.
    Chapeau.
    I felt sick most of the way round too, and I had the most gargantuan dump of undigested gels, jelly babies etc by the side of the road near Newlands Church. It's probably still there. You definitely didn't want to know that, did you?

Fantastic read Claire. Gripping stuff had me welling up as you neared the end of one hell of a challenge!! Massive respect to you :thumbup:

Good effort in horrible conditions.
    Can I ask those more knowledgeable, is the use of a GPS outside of the 'spirit' of the BGR? I ask as on a couple of supports I've done, people have just missed out on the 24 hrs due to navigational errors, which probaly wouldn't of happened if using GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by PeakSimon View Post
    Good effort in horrible conditions.
    Can I ask those more knowledgeable, is the use of a GPS outside of the 'spirit' of the BGR? I ask as on a couple of supports I've done, people have just missed out on the 24 hrs due to navigational errors, which probaly wouldn't of happened if using GPS?
    Plenty will use it, so its allowable.. whether they/you want to is a personal call for me.

Same with using ropes on Broad stand for security.. I'd run around but its their call, I am against using a caving ladder though.. I think thats against the spirit.

People use them. GPSs can be effected by very dense cloud so they may not be 100% reliable.