Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Claire's Bob Graham Report

Re: Claire's Bob Graham Report

Quote Originally Posted by PeakSimon View Post
    Good effort in horrible conditions.
    Can I ask those more knowledgeable, is the use of a GPS outside of the 'spirit' of the BGR? I ask as on a couple of supports I've done, people have just missed out on the 24 hrs due to navigational errors, which probaly wouldn't of happened if using GPS?
    I personally have no problem with the use of a gps in the BG or similar challenges. I have over the years used a combination of maps, compasses and gps. The BG contenders are not trying to prove they can navigate but to show they have what it takes to do the distance. Most often the navigation is done by the support team who, I am sure, can use any navigational method available to make sure they don't make mistakes.
    There are events where use of gps is not allowed and I am sure we all respect fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I personally have no problem with the use of a gps in the BG or similar challenges. I have over the years used a combination of maps, compasses and gps. The BG contenders are not trying to prove they can navigate but to show they have what it takes to do the distance. Most often the navigation is done by the support team who, I am sure, can use any navigational method available to make sure they don't make mistakes.
    There are events where use of gps is not allowed and I am sure we all respect fair play.
    Thx for the reply. Just to be clear I wasn't criticising anyone for using GPS, just wondered what the 'accepted wisdom' was!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    People use them. GPSs can be effected by very dense cloud so they may not be 100% reliable.
    This is true. GPS can be severely affected in thick clag, though the modern receivers (especially if coupled with GLONASS - the Russian constellation) are more sensitive. Make sure it's not your only option and carry map/compass.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Make sure it's not your only option and carry map/compass.
    Seconded!

The argument about GPS has to be put in its place. The compass is a piece of technology (did ancient seafareres once debate whether thye should be used?). Surely it's cheating to use one when one should rely on the stars? Goretex clothing ..... actually, clothing. Sports drinks. Where do you stop?

Having said all of this I prefer map and compass.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    The argument about GPS has to be put in its place. The compass is a piece of technology (did ancient seafareres once debate whether thye should be used?). Surely it's cheating to use one when one should rely on the stars? Goretex clothing ..... actually, clothing. Sports drinks. Where do you stop?

Having said all of this I prefer map and compass.
    If you want to remain within the true spirit of the round, do it in a pair of tennis shoes like Bob did

This is true. GPS can be severely affected in thick clag, though the modern receivers (especially if coupled with GLONASS - the Russian constellation) are more sensitive. Make sure it's not your only option and carry map/compass.
    I heard that other day that the latest generation of iPhone can access GLONASS and the GPS system. I wonder if the days of the dedicated navigation handset are numbered?

Incidentally, you don't have to learn to speak Russian nowadays - they just pinch English words and then put Russian endings on them: GLONASS stands for Globalnaya Navigatsionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema i.e. Global Navigational Satellite System.

I'm sure everyone is thrilled to know this
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Pennine's HelenA was telling me about the nightmare she had on her Leg 4 anticlockwise BG a couple of years ago. DazH was navigating and the GPSs were totally unreliable. Lost 1.5 hrs over the last two legs, only just made the 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    The BG contenders are not trying to prove they can navigate but to show they have what it takes to do the distance. Most often the navigation is done by the support team who, I am sure, can use any navigational method available to make sure they don't make mistakes.
    Whilst I'm sure this is the case for a fair few bob grahamees I'm not sure that this applies to me. In fact from my experiences last year (3 fails) I know it definitely doesn't. The whole Bob Graham thing has been a wonderful pot pourri of brilliant experiences for me (both good and bad experiences but always, always brilliant ) with unbelievably bad weather, blunders, naivity, feeling sick as a dogness, luck, bad luck, real and ever growing appreciation of the whole route, toughness, wimpyness, digging deep doggedness together with a strong dose of 'what the fecking, feck am I doing this for for feck's sakeness'. The 'showing that I have what it takes to to the distance' bit is actually not the hard bit

As for gps, all I can say is that in a pea souper at night it can both help and be a pain in the arse - our gps line to finally get to Watson Dodd down and up a ravine (Mill Gill) being a cracking example of the latter
    Last edited by Stolly; 04-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.

A mate sent me the link to this thread and we've been talking about it since then, hoping that someone can put me right.

Am going to have a crack this summer, have been meaning to since I came back from Canada but Im getting older and think had better do it while ive still got the legs. The question is, is it still a Bob Graham round if you take over 24 hours? The lads in the club say it cant be, but this lass from a few years backs says shes done it and also metions another lad who took more than 24. Ive been told she claim to have done it even though she took a good more hours than 24.

I reckon if you take over 24 its still a bob, you just cant join the Bob Graham club. Everyone else says you willhave just had a long day out and thats it. Whos right?

Cheers

Mike