Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Claire's Bob Graham Report

I suppose it's a matter of what you determine a Bob Graham Round to be: if it's simply doing the route on the ground in some indeterminate time or is it doing the route within the 24hr limit?

The problem with the "indeterminate time" is that at what point does it just become a walk in the hills? 36hrs? 2 days? One day per leg? One day per leg but spread over several years?

Obviously I've a Club hat to wear so in that regard a 24hr+ round isn't acceptable for Club membership.

Personally the BGR has the implicit understanding that you do it in under 24hrs otherwise it's just a long day out that happens to have followed the route.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I suppose it's a matter of what you determine a Bob Graham Round to be: if it's simply doing the route on the ground in some indeterminate time or is it doing the route within the 24hr limit?

The problem with the "indeterminate time" is that at what point does it just become a walk in the hills? 36hrs? 2 days? One day per leg? One day per leg but spread over several years?

Obviously I've a Club hat to wear so in that regard a 24hr+ round isn't acceptable for Club membership.

Personally the BGR has the implicit understanding that you do it in under 24hrs otherwise it's just a long day out that happens to have followed the route.
    It depends on who you are going to tell afterwards about your 30 hour Lakeland walk: if it is the local barman he might well say "Wow!"; if it is a fellrunner he might think, or even say, "why are you telling me this you loser?"
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

You might say that. I couldn't possibly comment!
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

One issue is that saying "I've done a BG" is tied in with having done it within 24h.
    Yes the BG route has been covered, but it does not meet the criteria to join the club. I'd say that were the timing caveat pointed out it would be OK but not doing so is somewhat disingenuous.
    Of course most people come back again and again until they crack 24h - AFAIK Claire hasn't done this (I helped here on her attempt and it was terrible weather) and maybe should have been a bit more up-front with saying it was done in 27h - if anything somewhat more impressive than a 23:30 on a sunny day given weather and extra time on feet!

The Paddy Buckley has no such time limits/constraints regards a successful completion.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Super Moderator
    The BG club rules must be the simplest of any club on the planet. Start here (when you like), run back this way or that way, take a mate and tell Bob Wightman when you’ve done

Claire might have had an epic foul weather day (and a bit) out but she wasn’t on the list last time I checked

DT #1663
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 31-01-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Sorry for slow reply, over in Toronto at the moment visiting me mum. Ta for all the answers, I think ive lost this argument and can see what everyone thinks.

Tell you what though Nick Barber, i'll be chuffed to death if i finish in 23.30 no matter wot weather. you must have been a lot faster on your round.

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post

The Paddy Buckley has no such time limits/constraints regards a successful completion.
    Thankfully ;0)

Master
    I guess its each to their own on this. I really enjoyed the write up and to suffer like that for 27 hours is impressive. But there again the BGR is a 24 hour challenge otherwise (in my view) its just following the route of the BGR over 42 summits but not actually The BGR!!
    For my first attempt I got to Honister with only 2.5 hours remaining and was persuaded to pull the plug. I had previously vowed to continue what ever time I did. Ob reflection if Id missed 24 hours which was likely I would have been gutted. Therefore glad I pulled and came back a year later to nail it properly. Although the PBR doesn't have a 24 hour stipulation, I have known many contender dig as deep as they can to creep in under 24 hours, including a Lakes runner who crept in by 12 seconds. If he'd been 12 seconds over I think he too would have been disappointed.