and mountain craft skills don’t enter.
    Why? Didn't bother a few people on the Wasdale

Bill

Thanks for the Checkpoint grid references btw

Bill

Re: Three Shires

Note : Unless you are sure you have the appropriate navigation
    and mountain craft skills don’t enter.
    Not me saying that, but i thought if i publish check points i'll include organisers notes...

Oh trying to drag myself up in Lingmoor in that heat.

I can still feel the cramp!

the footbridge isn't manned at blea tarn but it's 'compulsory to cross the footbridge' not splash through the stream

Fellhound

Info from the recce...

We ran all the way up the mine track to the ruined buildings then picked up a nice little trod through the bracken, which led up past some small spoil heaps then almost directly to the top of Wetherlam (indistinct on the top part but easy to thread a way between the craglets).

Descending from Swirl How, the contouring line around the back of Great Carrs was lower than we initially thought. A little trod is eventually picked up and leads onto the main path on the broad back of Wetside Edge. We found a grassier line to the right of the path gave better running on the lower part then it's straight down to 3 Shires Stone when the main path cuts back to the left.

The descent of Blisco was surprisingly easy - we followed the Langdale route for a long way, well past the top of Redacre Gill, descending on a decent path to a point where we could see the top of trees overlooking Blea Tarn. We then veered off right on a little trod to the broken wall at the top of this plantation. A stile on a wooden fence then led us onto a small path descending reliably through bracken to the footbridge. A good line but I still prefer the old way to Lingmoor below Side Pike.

At the road we turned right, then left up the side of the wall for an endless drag to the top of Lingmoor (undulating on the top part). Not sure this is the best line. The descent puzzled us a bit. The path stays close to the summit wall for quite a while but eventually descends through old quarry ruins, then by stony zig-zags through thick bracken (no beelines here!) to reach the Elterwater-Little Langdale track, where the flagged route to the finish starts.

For the "easiest" of the Lakeland Classics it's pretty tough! Glad I recced it because I had hardly any memory of the course from the last time I raced it (nearly 20 years ago!).

AW

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    The descent puzzled us a bit. The path stays close to the summit wall for quite a while but eventually descends through old quarry ruins, then by stony zig-zags through thick bracken (no beelines here!) to reach the Elterwater-Little Langdale track, where the flagged route to the finish starts.
    AW
    I'm sure when I did this 2 years ago it was flagged all the way from the top of Lingmoor.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I'm sure when I did this 2 years ago it was flagged all the way from the top of Lingmoor.
    It WAS flagged from summit down to the track and on to the finish, but my question is this: DO YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE FLAGS?

If for example the organiser states it crosses private land, I could understand one HAVING to follow the flags, but what if one THINKS they know a quicker route, do you STILL have to follow the flags?

I had this dilemma on the Kendal Winter League races, I wasn't sure whether I was meant to be going right past each flag or whether I could skip one if I could see the next further on.
    Why walk when you can run.

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    It WAS flagged from summit down to the track and on to the finish, but my question is this: DO YOU HAVE TO FOLLOW THE FLAGS?

If for example the organiser states it crosses private land, I could understand one HAVING to follow the flags, but what if one THINKS they know a quicker route, do you STILL have to follow the flags?

I had this dilemma on the Kendal Winter League races, I wasn't sure whether I was meant to be going right past each flag or whether I could skip one if I could see the next further on.
    It sounds to me like you have a sneaky short cut lined up.

how much climb is there and how far is it
    The race does not always go to the swift, but to the ones who keep running

Hello Noor,

You had another good run at Borrowdale. I blew up again - getting used to it now!

I may be wrong but I think the flags are only really there due to the junior races going up that way. I think any route would go across the moor but sticking to the flags towards the bottom would be best due to getting close to farm land. Only my thoughts though.

I always end up sticking to the flags as I'm too knackered to bother thinking about the route down.

Cheers,

Paul.