Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Shires

Re: Three Shires

Marie Todd ran for Ambleside

Smile Re: Three Shires

[I]Re: where is Mari now?

busy living north of inverness, organising toddlers, Munlochy school council and trying to fit in a bit of training. Can't recall the climbs being steep in the 3 shires, but my Dad just reminded me of the shoe eating bogs on the descent to Blea Tarn where I lost a shoe in 1997. I remember the descent bfore Pike o' Blisco was steep....bet Jackie passed a few going down that.

novice

Three Shires

Having completed Kentmere I’m keen to maybe have a go at Three Shires in Sept. Just wandering how much of a step up is the Three Shires and if I did Kentmere in 2.5hrs will I be struggling to meet the cut off at 3 shires stone after 2 hrs

Many thanks

if you did 2 and a half hours at kentmere you wont have a problem,just go for it ,see you there

My favourite race (probably as it was my first fell race) but can't do it this year

just save a bit in your legs for the last climb up Lingmoor

Best of luck with this one Novice, I'll be doing it myself, no idea what sort of time I'll do it in maybe around 2:30 ish I would guess.

Graeme

You should have no problems meeting the 2 hr cut off, it's no more than 6 mile into the race so you should be well past there by two hours.

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Having completed Kentmere I’m keen to maybe have a go at Three Shires in Sept. Just wandering how much of a step up is the Three Shires and if I did Kentmere in 2.5hrs will I be struggling to meet the cut off at 3 shires stone after 2 hrs

Many thanks
    Hi again novice, I've never mastered 3 Shires because the 1st climb is a killer and has always caused me pain in my lower back. Never known anything quite like it and I've done the Ben race 4 times! After that there's not that much more to it but I'd say it's considerably harder than Kentmere just because of that opening climb. All the Lakeland Classics are.

Mindyou, someone said to me he thought Sedbergh Hills was a harder race than 3 Shires because it's longer and has more climbing. To me it's not because it's more runnable so it can depend who you talk to, horses for courses. Re cut offs I don't know sorry.

Parking fields are flooded, keep an eye on http://www.amblesideac.org.uk/news.htm for updates

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Asquith View Post
    Parking fields are flooded, keep an eye on http://www.amblesideac.org.uk/news.htm for updates
    Fingers crossed it doesn't rain for the next fortnight. I'm sure its a lot of work to organise as it is without this. Three Shires is a great race, all the better for the great first climb. I'm hoping to be there.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.