Page 4 of 64 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Three Shires

alwaysinjured

Re: Three Shires

Quote Originally Posted by theNoor View Post
    Car Park at Blea Tarn. It does mean you start with the final climb though.

Alternatively, get there early and you can squeeze in on the bend, just past Three Shires, and immediately after the phone box. Then you start with 'the start'.

Wetherlam climb is the worst climb I know of in any race.

A reccie worth doing if you havent tried it before: Instead of ascending immediately from the gate as most of the field do in the race - try going a little further along the track, another 200m if memory serves me right (havent got a map to hand) until you see the remains of the mine buildings on your right and then dead reckon the top. The bracken is a lot shorter and it is less rough - and because you arent following a lot of runners the trod hasnt turned into mud.

Fellhound

I think we went all the way to the end of the track (to the ruined mine buildings anyway) then found a good trod through the bracken all the way to the upper reaches, when it was a simple matter of winding upwards between the craglets. This seemed a quite efficient route.

I think the point where we started upwards in earnest was more or less directly below Birk Fell Hause.

Anyone fancy camping over on the saturday night - couple of us may be doing so already???

post race gathering/few pints??

I think I am gonna camp Fri and Sat,probably at NT site at Low Wray. Anyone know anywhere nearer ?

Bayes Brow Campsite(?!) in Chapel Stile, Langdale is about a 30 min walk or 4 mile drive away from 3 shires pub. It is also the campsite of choice for fanatical terrorists when holidaying/preparing for jihad in the area!!

Graeme

Alternatively if you like the chance of your stuff getting nicked, camp at the dungeon ghyll campsite.
    I've never had any problems myself but have heard horror stories about the place.

Three Shires

Can't seem to find much about this race anywhere. Tell me something about it PLEASE I'm gonna camp at Low Wray NT campsite and cycle across.

Which club organises it ??

Graeme

There's some info here:
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=1948
    Check out what trundler said from his recce.
    According to the CFR website it's organised by Ambleside AC, but I'm not too sure myself, there's nothing on their website.
    Basic Course: 3SHires Inn, Wetherlam, Swirl How, Great Carrs, 3 Shires Stone, Pike o'Blisco, Blea Tarn, Loughrigg, 3 SHires Inn

Good race. Serious navigation required at a few points in bad vis including stretch between Pike O Blisco and the road crossing.