Thread: BGR in more than 24 hours?

BGR in more than 24 hours?

Is it a contradiction?
    yours truly,
    the blue touch paper kid.

Re: BGR in more than 24 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by keswicksimon View Post
    Is it a contradiction?
    No surely the BGR is the route. A successful BGR would imply in under 24hrs and hence eligible for membership of the Bob Graham Club.

I suppose the superb 26 hr+ efforts by Clair and Andy over the past two weekends has highlighted this. The two of them deserve to be in the club for what they achieved. But I suppose if that was allowed how would you decide when the weather is bad enough to warrent waving the 24 hr rule?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I suppose the superb 26 hr+ efforts by Clair and Andy over the past two weekends has highlighted this. The two of them deserve to be in the club for what they achieved. But I suppose if that was allowed how would you decide when the weather is bad enough to warrent waving the 24 hr rule?
    Or the level of injury sustained etc etc

No-one's being forced to make their attempt in rubbish weather. If they do and fail to get round sub-24... well, good effort and everything, but tough.

Quote Originally Posted by elliptic View Post
    No-one's being forced to make their attempt in rubbish weather
    A little bit harsh. Getting all of the support crew and logistics together for a particular date is no mean feat. Many people could well feel that if they let down their support crew by canceling they may struggle to get it arranged again.

FFS get over yourselves in the big scheme of things what does it really matter? 24 hours or 24 days what ever you the contender is happy with
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    A little bit harsh. Getting all of the support crew and logistics together for a particular date is no mean feat. Many people could well feel that if they let down their support crew by canceling they may struggle to get it arranged again.
    I'd suggest that any supporters that feel let down because an attempt is cancelled due to the weather are showing a distinct lack of understanding of both the BGR and mountains in general and are probably ones that you can manage without. I've been involved with numerous attempts over the last 20+ years that have been either abandoned or pushed back because of the weather and in every case all I've heard are supporters immediately offering to be back for the next attempt/rearrange their weekend if at all possible to go 24 hours later.

Having a back-up plan e.g. go 24 hours later in the case of bad weather is just good mountain craft and very much part and parcel of the BGR.

Quote Originally Posted by elliptic View Post
    No-one's being forced to make their attempt in rubbish weather. If they do and fail to get round sub-24... well, good effort and everything, but tough.
    I agree,I supported around in truly awful weather few years ago rained heavily all day low clag and gales but they did it and under 24 hours to. If your strong enough you'll do it.

I was lucky I had nice weather but its the Lakes it does tend to rain,bank on it being shit and if its nice,bonus. If your not confident don't go simple
    Last edited by andygib1982; 22-05-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Leave yourself at least a two day window over the weekend for an attempt. You're pretty unlucky if both days are pretty shite...