Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: BGR attempt this Saturday 25th

Re: BGR attempt this Saturday

Bad Luck Dave.
    Hills and Guinness!

A quick update on the tracker. The position I carried it was attached to the outside of a bum bag on the left side, I also wore a GPS watch on my left wrist which altered it's mileage from 6 miles to 28 miles on leg 1,this made me wonder if the tracker and watch where reacting with each other. I can confirm I didn't swim across Grisedale tarn though tracker was at that side. I have also noticed that it looked like I missed Harrison Stickle for some reason and I did hill reps on Scafell but going down once was enough. Could it be down to the suunto watch I was wearing ? Then on another occasion I would know to keep them apart ?I still think it's a brilliant piece of kit and should be carried. It also keeps you glued to the screen :-)

Just to add that a Dark Peak Lady sneaked out this week end. Lucy Wiegand who completed all 42 tops of the BGR this weekend, but just over an hour outside the 24 hours. A brilliant effort, dodgy knees conspired to destroy to her plans for fast descents at the end.

Had luck Dave,I saw you on Great End I must of asked 20 people before you are you Dave !

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    Had luck Dave,I saw you on Great End I must of asked 20 people before you are you Dave !
    What, even the ladies :wink:
    Hills and Guinness!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Just to add that a Dark Peak Lady sneaked out this week end. Lucy Wiegand who completed all 42 tops of the BGR this weekend, but just over an hour outside the 24 hours. A brilliant effort, dodgy knees conspired to destroy to her plans for fast descents at the end.
    Sorry to hear this Ian. Lucy was going well and was ahead of schedule at Wasdale. Her support team made us tea and was very friendly. Nice folks :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I'm totally new to this forum (first post so would like to make it a good'n but probably won't be very memorable!). Here goes...

Not only am I new to this forum I'm a complete novice to fell running also. I've done a fair bit of walking in the past so I'm fairly comfortable with navigation and I really like being up in the hills. I'm an OK runner but the fells - my word - they take it out of you. I found this thread early Saturday morning after leaving Keswick on Friday 9pm. After reading so much about the BG it suddenly seemed more real. If only I had been there to see Dave off. I kept an eye on the gps trace throughout the day and was gutted to see the attempt not come to fruition. As a total novice I had been in The Lakes doing the first leg (clockwise) of the BG for a bit of fun. It totally opened my eyes as to how hard the BGR (and similar) really are and my upmost respect goes out to anyone that has a serious crack at it - successful or not.

Great effort Dave. Hope you recover quickly and best of luck if (when ) you have another crack at it.

Hard luck Dave and Lucy hope you had a good day out in the sunny hills otherwise.

Thanks everybody I'm sure I will be back again.

Dave