Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training for 100 mile ultra

maddaddy

training for 100 mile ultra

I am looking at stepping upto a 100 mile event but with life etc struggle to get time to get very long runs in as part of training

So when people are training for a 100 mile event what is the longest long run they do and how often would they do it prior to the event?

Many thanks

Re: training for 100 mile ultr

Chatting to PaulBooth that is on here sometimes and has a UTMB to his name he was telling me that about marathon distance is what he does but you have to do it on consecutive days, which would be the hard bit.
    Last edited by DrPatrickBarry; 05-06-2013 at 01:51 PM.

50 to 70 mile weeks for 14 weeks, tried to do back to back runs at weekend but didn't always manage it, hard 37 mile fell race in the lakes, couple of 50 milers, one through the night, and a week taper before Lakeland 100 last year got me round. If your 100 is going to be hilly, do lots of hills. I was concerned I hadn't done enough but was ok on the day/night/day/and part of the next night. Good Luck:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

maddaddy

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    50 to 70 mile weeks for 14 weeks, tried to do back to back runs at weekend but didn't always manage it, hard 37 mile fell race in the lakes, couple of 50 milers, one through the night, and a week taper before Lakeland 100 last year got me round. If your 100 is going to be hilly, do lots of hills. I was concerned I hadn't done enough but was ok on the day/night/day/and part of the next night. Good Luck:thumbup:
    thanks steve

Out of interest what did you use to carry everything when you did the Lakeland 100?

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    thanks steve

Out of interest what did you use to carry everything when you did the Lakeland 100?
    Used a Golite Rush 10 litre pack. Managed to squeeze everything in and no rubbing or chaffing anywhere. Used an OMM pack year before on the 50 and it rubbed the bottom of my back raw.
    Attachment 6990
    Last edited by stevefoster; 25-05-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    Hills and Guinness!

maddaddy

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Used a Golite Rush 10 litre pack. Managed to squeeze everything in and no rubbing or chaffing anywhere. Used an OMM pack year before on the 50 and it rubbed the bottom of my back raw.
    Attachment 6990

Thanks again

Timetonstart running!!!

I'm similar to Steve in terms of longest runs. Weekly mileage is more but I have less access to hills...

Personally speaking, and with regard to 50 miles not 100, the longest I ran in preparation for the Dusk til Dawn ultra last year (50 miles) was 14 miles. I was very pleased with my time and felt I could have gone faster, but i'd teamed up with a couple of others and we stayed together.

I did a couple of runs around 9/10 PM which got me used to running at that time of the day.

For me a holistic approach becomes even more important when you start to go beyond marathon distance. My approach is to train to an overall effort per week, coupled with a good diet and all round strength training, and not get too hung up on specifics.

Again personally speaking i don't use training plans - the minute you miss a session it's easy to feel demoralised or off target. Just listen to your body and have a positive frame of mind. Break up the race itself into segments, CP to CP is a good approach to take, as well as packing specific bits of food/kit and looking forward to using them throughout the race.

Touch wood I'm Lakeland 100'ing at the end of July. Thus far for the year to date I've run about 1,100 miles, the vast majority off road in the hills, with circa 190,000 feet of climb - thats about 50 miles and 8,400 feet per week on average. I've also completed the HPM (c42 miles), the Haworth Hobble (c31 miles), the Fellsman (c61 miles) and a 140 mile 7 day yomp of the north Cornish Coastline path. Next month I hope to complete a Bob Graham too. If thats not enough, the LL100 can f**k right off
    Last edited by Stolly; 05-06-2013 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Correcting schoolboy mathematical error

Shit or bust this year then stolly :thumbup: