Thread: Bob on Clogs

Bob on Clogs

I know Pat hijacked the Glossopdale thread, so I'm starting one just for Hanno.

Pennine's Flying Dutchman, Hanno Torn, had a great run on his BG at the weekend, finishing in about 23hr 15mins. We were wondering, have any other Dutchies completed the BG does anyone know?

I've posted a few photos from Leg 3 here.

It's worth mentioning that Hanno's considerably better half, Bev, was an absolute star, keeping the support crew fed and watered all weekend. She must have been cooking non-stop for a week to produce that much food.

Re: Bob on Clogs

Andy Gibbons and I were meant to be supporting leg 4 for a guy a couple of years back and were told that we would identify his support vehicle at Wasdale by the dutch flag draped over it. Sure enough, we found the car with this lad's dutch wife inside it, but sadly he never made it as far as Wasdale (it was hammering it down with rain) and that was that. Not that this is of much consequence, because I think the actual contender was English, but it's a good opportunity to say WELL DONE to Hanno anyway!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Hanno got in touch with me on Sunday asking the same. After a quick (well as quick as you can be when checking nearly 1800 names and addresses) I came across one previous successful Dutchman: Ton Peters. Other than Inken Blunk who I believe was/is German, there is a surprising lack of non-Brits in the list. The first overseas member was Reinhard Ackerman from Switzerland. There are a few Irish in the list.

As far as I can tell there are no French members, Didier here's your chance for glory! We also believe there to be no Americans in the list though some members now live there.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    There are a few Irish in the list.
    I wonder if any of them have also done the Wicklow Round as well. I see on IMRA there were another 4 (one of them solo) successes this weekend. I must have a look at the two lists to see if there are any names in common.

thanks for the photos geoff. you can just see one of us on Pike of Stickle on your shot from Harrison. no photos from me I'm afraid :thunbdown:

well done hanno after that reccee we did in the white out in the middle of winter you were very strong determination was there,
    which way of blencathra did you go in the end as you were undecided?

Well Done Hanno, was good to see you going strong at Wasdale and have a chat with Geoff. Found out later when I got home you'd cracked it (never doubted it) chuffed to bits for you :thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

It's worth mentioning that Hanno's considerably better half, Bev, was an absolute star, keeping the support crew fed and watered all weekend. She must have been cooking non-stop for a week to produce that much food.[/QUOTE]

Well done Hanno. I hope your pockets were full of your wife's famous lasagne!
    Mark F.

Doh! Only picked up this thread last night, as we stayed in the Lakes for a nice week walking after the BG.
    Thanks to all for your kind words, on this thread, on the hijacked glossop thread (sorry!) and on facebook.
    I was extremely fortunate with the weather, especially compared to some of you who had a go during the last weekends and compared to the majority of my recces in the snow, mist and rain; I started in shorts and finished in shorts - proper summer round!
    Added to that, i had a very experienced support crew, and a roadside team (Alan b and Bev) that couldnt do enough to keep everyone watered, fed and happy.
    The result was a great, wonderful and happy day in the mountains with a wonderful group of friends. Simply awesome.
    if you fancy having a look at the pics, have a look here ( you need a facebook account): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3408474&type=3

hanno