Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running the Southern Upland Wa

Question Running the Southern Upland Wa

y. (have subject line lengths been shortened?)

Following my jaunt along the West Highland Way I've started wondering if the Southern Upland Way is runnable. It's rather long (212 miles) so I'm thinking of arranging to do in relay fashion (each runner doing 106 miles over 48-72hrs or however long it takes).

Now the WHW I know very well but the SUW I know nothing about. Anyone here know anything about the quality of the route in terms of its runnablity, how it compares to the WHW etc.?

If I do it, I'll need three other fools/runners to make up a 4 person team who'll run in two two-man teams, alternating between running and providing support for the other pair from a support van (and hopefully finding time for a little shuteye).

I know of one other fool so I'm two runners short of a madhouse. Anyone interested in the idea? Tentatively looking at the weekend of July 14th/15th.

Re: Running the Southern Uplan

I've only been on bits of it but it's been of pretty reasonable quality. One of the guys (he won the WHW a year or so ago!) in my club's done quite a lot of it and I'm sure he said some bits around St Mary's loch were muddy but that's not any different to the WHW in bits either I guess!

Do you know Mike Cudahy did this in 2 days something? He wasn't overly impressed with it (WTtFH)

Hi Deeko, is that Jez you're talking about? If it is, I might get in touch with him for info.

Clodhopper, I just fancy doing to as a fun challenge. I guess it's not going to compare well scenerywise to the WHW but it'll be fun to explore some new ground.

Can I put you down as the third man? I'm sure it would be good endurance training for the Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post

Can I put you down as the third man? I'm sure it would be good endurance training for the Ben.
    Once you set a firm date let me konw and I'll make sure I'm working that day or in prison or unavailable by some means or other

Thumbs up Southern Upland Way

Quote Originally Posted by runningfool View Post
    y. (have subject line lengths been shortened?)

Following my jaunt along the West Highland Way I've started wondering if the Southern Upland Way is runnable. It's rather long (212 miles) so I'm thinking of arranging to do in relay fashion (each runner doing 106 miles over 48-72hrs or however long it takes).

Now the WHW I know very well but the SUW I know nothing about. Anyone here know anything about the quality of the route in terms of its runnablity, how it compares to the WHW etc.?

If I do it, I'll need three other fools/runners to make up a 4 person team who'll run in two two-man teams, alternating between running and providing support for the other pair from a support van (and hopefully finding time for a little shuteye).
    I've done the stretch from St. Mary's Loch, east to Abbey St. Bathans.
    It's very poorly marked, quite hilly, not many facilities en route but plenty roads traverse the way & road or trail shoes can be worn.

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

You gotta love Sitka Spruce, there's a helluva lot of em. The ground as others said is similar to WHW, can get diverted a bit by forestry operations. Rained solidly for the first 6 days when i did it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Rained solidly for the first 6 days when i did it.....
    Shudda run a bit faster then...

Cheeky young whippersnapper!! LOL i was walking it. A funny story in a bothy book about an ancient stone which one of the forstry lads knocked over with his JCB, he said he's not sure where it was meant to go so he just bunged it back in anywhere!!! lol prob some deep religious significance to it's position.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf Tupper View Post
    Cheeky young whippersnapper!!
    Young? Pleased to hear that 50 still counts as young.