Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haglund's deformity??

Haglund's deformity??

Dear All.
    Does any one know anything about Haglund's deformity (pump bump)? I think its a large painful lump on the heel and I fear I’ve got one.
    Anyone else had this? Any suggestions of how to get rid or reduce?

Ta
    Tim

Re: Haglund's deformity??

I've got haglund's deformities on both heels, had them since I was a child. I thought they were different to what's known as a pump bump though? Mine are most definitley boney growths that stick out a considerable way. Makes buying shoes tricky at times but other than that they cause no problems or pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    I've got haglund's deformities on both heels, had them since I was a child. I thought they were different to what's known as a pump bump though? Mine are most definitley boney growths that stick out a considerable way. Makes buying shoes tricky at times but other than that they cause no problems or pain.
    Cheers for the reply Dru.
    I've only done a little bit of reading about this on the internet so there is a fair chance I've got some info mixed up.
    I finding some of my fell shoes with stiff heels give me hell when I start off runnnig.

Tim

A friend of mine has this problem and has experienced debilitating pain at times, which has seriously curtailed fell running and other activities.
    The likely cause of the pain appears to be the pressure between the shoe and the Haglunds bony protrusion at the back of the foot aggravating other soft tissue structures in the area (?the bursa at the back of the heel or the point of attachment of the achilles tendon?)
    Rest and relieving the pressure is the cure.
    Lots of trial and error, but the solution to the problem has involved cutting holes in the back of the shoe and using gel pads to pad around the bony protrusion.
    Prevention is undoubtedly the best course of action, so if you are getting any grief from your Haglund's don't ignore it and hope it will go away - it won't - it will only get worse!
    Do whatever you can to relieve any pressure points and don't keep running through the pain.
    Good luck!

Give it a few weeks and the lumps will wear a nice hole in the back of your shoe! Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    A friend of mine has this problem and has experienced debilitating pain at times, which has seriously curtailed fell running and other activities.
    The likely cause of the pain appears to be the pressure between the shoe and the Haglunds bony protrusion at the back of the foot aggravating other soft tissue structures in the area (?the bursa at the back of the heel or the point of attachment of the achilles tendon?)
    Rest and relieving the pressure is the cure.
    Lots of trial and error, but the solution to the problem has involved cutting holes in the back of the shoe and using gel pads to pad around the bony protrusion.
    Prevention is undoubtedly the best course of action, so if you are getting any grief from your Haglund's don't ignore it and hope it will go away - it won't - it will only get worse!
    Do whatever you can to relieve any pressure points and don't keep running through the pain.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the info.
    I've booked a day off work to go the docs and buy some new running shoes (both trail and fell).
    Glad I've noticed somthing is wrong. Hope it not too late.

Tim

these are one of my many foot deformities. I actually find that new shoes are main problem, with wear I get a hole in the heel lining which reduces the pressure. A podiatrist suggested that I cut out a hole in the heel padding but I've never been that brave.

These have never caused me major problems.

Agree with most above - give it a few weeks and you wear a hole in the padding on the heel of the shoe. Bothered me a fair bit in the old "rigid heel" Inov8s, but the newer ones are softer.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Cheers everyone.
    My invo8s and my glads are the worst. Never have a problem with my road shoes.

Any suggestions of shoes with nice soft heels?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Cheers everyone.
    My invo8s and my glads are the worst. Never have a problem with my road shoes.

Any suggestions of shoes with nice soft heels?

Tim
    May be worth steaming the heels of your Inov8s for a better fit - see the Inov8 website for details on this.