Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Loneliness

Re: The Loneliness

Is it just me that senses a presence of someone with me on long distance runs then? Has to be a long one and I have to be alone. Nothing spritual, just fatigue and the dark I think. Got it big style on last years GUCR when boredom must have played a big part aswell.

I too think solitude is more what we enjoy about being out there
    (though I guess for Alan Sillitoe it was not alliterative enough).

The reason I posed the question was because of a post a couple of weeks back panicking that some-ones tracker had stopped moving on the BG "what's happening ?" came the cry.
    It's happening again today.
    And I just thought this is horrible ! Just wait and see, or get out on the hill and find out. Don't sit in your chair watching.
    If I go into the hills I sure as hell don't want the bleeding Internet, the world and its dog watching - I want to be out there - In solitude.
    And if anyone is interested then they can bloody well wait 'till I'm done !

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    I too think solitude is more what we enjoy about being out there
    (though I guess for Alan Sillitoe it was not alliterative enough).

The reason I posed the question was because of a post a couple of weeks back panicking that some-ones tracker had stopped moving on the BG "what's happening ?" came the cry.
    It's happening again today.
    And I just thought this is horrible ! Just wait and see, or get out on the hill and find out. Don't sit in your chair watching.
    If I go into the hills I sure as hell don't want the bleeding Internet, the world and its dog watching - I want to be out there - In solitude.
    And if anyone is interested then they can bloody well wait 'till I'm done !
    Made me laugh that! I agree absolutely, although I do appreciate the spectator value of the trackers. I'd hate anyone to use them to turn up to join me when I'm out on an epic. On the other hand, if they're watching but not affecting my run - why not, if it's a run of sufficient interest. Needless to say, mine tend to be of interest only to me...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

True solitude today- 30 miles in Bowland. True i did bump into Mike and Sheena Cottam but other than 3 farmers I only saw one other person!
    Was anxious after getting a bit confused in the mist that I was going to be 'late'... and I was by about half an hour but as Bob was nearly 90 mins 'late' I needn't have worried.

The late, great Townes Van Zandt once said:

"Aloneness is a state of being whereas loneliness is a state of feeling. It's like being broke and being poor. I feel aloneness all the time and loneliness I hardly ever feel."

Sounds about right to me....
    Shaved my dreads off...now just 'Jeff'...