Thread: My First Six Months - Part 2

My First Six Months - Part 2

Fell Running At 50 - Part 2

Then I got bronchitis. And also a place in Fairfield. This was problematical because places were not transferable. Many disappointed runners did not have a place and it seemed to me wrong not to run in view of this. The weather was pretty grim before the start but was actually ok during the race. Soon after the start I realised it wasn’t happening for me that day. I got off to a bad start, finding myself way down and never quite managing to pull further up the field. The run up to Fairfield summit was very difficult, and I basically just kept putting one foot in front of another and wished the finish line would arrive soon. After finishing I went home feeling unwell, not even staying for the prize giving, which is something I always liked to do. I did not make the top half in the results on this one.
    Next up was Caw, another local race. A beautiful evening for running, a small field of runners and a great pub near the finish. All very informal and quite a contrast to Fairfield! It was during this one that I went into a bog right to the top of my legs but fortunately I did not lose a shoe! Quite a short race but great fun, and another top half finish.
    Race 7 was Helvellyn & The Dodds. This would be my longest race so far at 15 miles. Again, superb weather blessed us for this one. Nice hot sunshine, but sadly, I decided to ‘wing it’ and not carry any drink. I would later regret this as dehydration and cramp took their toll on this poor dried out husk as he shuffled along desperately trying to keep the runners ahead in view. This was a super course and definitely one for the race horses, mostly good grassy fast terrain. Still, I enjoyed this one a lot and seeing Kenny Stuart awarding the prizes was a real treat. Another top half finish.

And then we get to Duddon Valley. This is very local to me and I knew all of the course well, though I had never run it completely in one go. This was going to be quite a challenge and by far my most difficult one so far. I set of quite well, and was feeling good at the top of the first of the three big climbs of the day. The run down to Hardknott Pass was fast and furious and I felt well in the groove, taking a number of places, only to lose them again on the up slopes. And so it went until Little Stand. I had been up a number of times so I knew what to expect, but it still broke me. The runners behind drew relentlessly nearer, the ones ahead pulled faster and further ahead. I threw all of my weapons at that hill, varying stride length, micro resting between steps but the hill drew energy from me like hot sun drying a muddy puddle. The run down to Three Shire Stone should have been fast and fun, but for me it was a slow slog, every hundred yards or so needed to be paid for with a minutes walking. The third climb of the day commenced, ‘Swirl How and you’ve got it cracked’ call Rhys Findlay-Robinson as he lolled on the grassy bank. This hill took its toll also, every step, a trial. The sky darkened and a cold breeze started to blow. The cloud lowered and with no one visible ahead or behind, suddenly it felt a very lonely place to be. Still… just keep going, just keep going… Somehow, I took a poor line and emerged on top of Gt Carrs instead of contouring around it, but Swirl How was there in view just a short distance away. And then the character of the terrain changes, less hilly and more runnable. On the way to Dow Crag I mentally shook myself up and decided this is where I really needed to try and put an effort in. On and on to Walna Scar not stopping, then onto White Pike, not stopping. Going well now. I seem have got a second wind and feel quite strong on the climb up to Caw. Then flying down the sides of Caw going really well, making up places, legs very strong on the descent. Onto the flagged section, until the flags disappeared right before a big boggy field. Someone has a sense of humour, I thought. Into the finish, legs starting to cramp, but who cares, I made it! Another top half finish. I lay for ages on the grass enjoying the sun and feeling overwhelmed with a sense of proud achievement. And thinking about the following Saturday.

Ennerdale. Hmmm ok so its a long way. But I have run further, so that is not an issue. I know the second half really well, though not the first so thoroughly. It was a hot day, but that’s ok too. I had some good support on this one; a friend was meeting me at Scarth Gap and Black sail Pass with drinks. As I climb up Herdus, the first steep climb of the route I feel grateful the course has a nice flat run in to get warmed up on before the tough stuff starts. Checkpoint one and there is Joss Naylor calling out the numbers, what a treat! Having learned the lessons of the Helvellyn race I take plenty of fluids in and feel like I am going well. A few bad lines on the ridge cost me time and again on Haystacks. But now we are getting to where I am more at home and on the second half of the course I get really good lines. Again, I feel stronger as the race progresses. At Black sail Pass my friend has far more energy drink than I need so she gives it out to the runners behind. I thank the marshals at every check point and continue relentlessly onwards. On the final descent I am flying, but the track to the finish is really tough, my legs sensing the end, start to cramp. Another good run but this time I get into the top 1/3rd of the field. My best result and also the most enjoyable so far.

June has been a busy month for racing and I feel my legs are starting to feel the strain. Just the small matter of Great Lakes Run to do and then I can rest for a while. This one has been on my radar for quite a while, being very local and one I had reccyied a number of times. The tops were completely clagged in and it looked like nav would be an important factor. Unfortunately for my poor tired legs, its one of those that starts with a punishingly protracted climb. I had run The Band far better in training than on race day, but I was aware of a sense of non-urgency, a sense of just wanting to enjoy the run without any expectations. I ran for a while a guy from Kendal AC, and then another guy from the Bradford area, he saying it was his first A category race! Capital A category, I was thinking as this one has more feet of climb per mile than any other race on the calendar. So it was all very social and chatty. My local knowledge served me well on the section between Scafell & Slightside, even helping a few runners that were going the wrong way. The descent off Slightside can be tricky, but no problems and dropping out of the cloud and onto the grassy (ok….tussocky bog then) section, I kicked off and tried to catch the two runners I could see in the far distance. I had reccied both ascents, Swinsty and Stonesty and opted for the latter, longer but less steep. By the time I reached the col, the runners ahead had completely disappeared so they must have been really tramping on! Just one more climb to go, Pike O blisco. Half way up, looking back, I could see no one and I reflected on the unusual phenomenon I had noticed, how as a race progresses, it tends to elongate, with slower runners falling further behind and quicker one pulling further forward until the point where it can actually be quite a solitary journey. I seem to get the right descent route and my choice of mudclaws serves me well on the steep slippery bank down to the valley floor. I glance behind to see a runner only a few hundred yards away! Where the heck did he come from? I push on and sprint down the track to the finish. I am unsure about my finishing place, but just in so make my ambitious time target, so I finish my tenth race of the year feeling well satisfied.

So, ten races done during my first six months of fell racing. As time has progressed, my experience and confidence has grown to the point where I do really enjoy racing now. Something I though very unlikely to happen after my first few races. The busiest month is over and my next race is while off. Kentmere. but between now and then there is the small matter of the Clif 10 Peaks Challenge…

TonyH

Re: My First Six Months - Part

Excellent read that Tony.

Coming top 1/3 in Ennerdale in your first season racing is impressive. I've been racing on and off for 3 years and I've only made the top 1/3 of a race a couple of times.