Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hill reps and/or flat sprints

Re: Hill reps and/or flat spri

Quote Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
    LissaJous what kind leg strength (weights) work do you do?
    You could probably find some threads with forum search.

You can use gym machines or free weights, I tend towards the former for beginners; get someone to show you if possible for the free weights.
    Generally, start with things like 3x10 reps or 2x20 reps with enough weight to tire your legs. At least 2 minutes between. You should see some rapid improvement in strength if you haven't done this before, then you can move to higher weight and 3x5 reps or 2x10 reps as time goes on. I wouldn't do low-weight, 100 reps as I have heard some people doing! Quads & hamstrings (carefully) are the key ones. Try and get some calf raises in too, can be done on some reclined squat machines quite nicely. Anything else you can do if/when you feel like it or for specific rehab purposes, but be sure to do some body-weight/conditioning exercises as well, to work things like the core, glutes, QLs (sides above hips. I won't say not to do sit-ups and press-ups, but there are more specific exercises for running posture, so take your pick. People usually do some upper body work, but it doesn't have to be a lot.

Nowadays, I mostly use free weights at home (when I can be bothered.. not been going too well this year!), I do a small amount on upper body, but mostly squats/lunges/Bulgarian-split-squats for legs, sometimes working with the weight overhead which adds in some core & stability. Snatches become annoying (I don't have a rack so I am perennially picking the weights up from the floor!), jerks are fun. And the body-weight stuff is just as important as working with the weights.

Master

Quite a bit of leg strength work can be done using body weight alone - single leg squats, lunges, jumps, tuck jumps, heel drops on the stairs, the Nordic hamstring exercise, planks - front/back/side and lifting one leg up, running up stairs ..... and you can always put some books in a back pack if these are too easy for you. For an interesting session look up jump/run - actually jump/drill/run. You do a leg strength exercise for say 30 seconds, 30 secs rest, then a drill, for example high knees 15 secs x 4 with 15 secs rest, then run hard for 2 minutes, then repeat with different jumps/drills/run until you are done.

Thanks for the pointers. I went to the work gym tonight where they have a few basic machine and some free weights (the warning over free weights has been noted). Did a little bit or a workout but now I know what there is can do a bit more research and devise a program. Up to now I have been doing a fair bit of core and cardio work at home (lunges, various planks, bit of plyo etc) which has really helped my running, I certainly notice the difference later in a race. I reckon I now need to work on my leg strength (as well) which I think is limiting me now. Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes!