Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fell Grand Prix Series

Fell Grand Prix Series

Several of our juniors travelled to the Reservoir bogs series of Junior races today only to discover that the age criteria for this race is age on the day rather than age as of 1st Jan which means that they could be competing in two age categories in the same series. That can't be right. A bit of mis-communication between the GP series organisers and the organising club methinks. Perhaps the race should be struck from the GP series and another race chosen or leave it at one race less. What do other interested parties think ?

Re: Fell Grand Prix Series

Quiet a few of our juniors made the trip specifically to pick up series points it would be a shame if race was void. You'd had thought someone would have noticed before....

Yes but some of them would be picking up series points in a different age categorie Richard, what's the point in that ? The only fair way is to void the race as a GP series race.

it was only when i asked the same question of the organisers of the previous round on this forum was the same issue uncovered.. smart footwork on thier part resolved the issue before the day. this further proved the value of all race information been publicly available 14 days or so beforehand then issues can be resolved in advance.

glad we didnt go today , even though its the closest race o home. looking forward to Helm hill tomorrow.. no1 daughter has her 11+ prelim in the morning then a dash to Kendal for 2..
    Last edited by withaY; 22-06-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: changes

Clayton juniors travelled over today and we had an excellent turnout and some great results at a well organised race but...

We only put Reservoir Bogs in our Club series because Al categorically stated that it would be run under the 'age on 1st Jan' system. Frankly I was fuming at him until I noticed that he isn't the organiser this year (sorry Al!). We're going to have to do some imaginative fettling to put the results into our series. I think we'll give it a miss next year.

I notice that Al is still down as the organiser for Widdop (the last in our series), hopefully he'll be running it as 'age on 1st Jan', otherwise we'll need to look for an alternative.

What's the news Al?
    Last edited by AndyA; 22-06-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Incidentally, I hope to hear from all those self important committee meddlers who caused this problem with last year's botched rule changes then refused to take responsibility. Several coaches and ROs were thoroughly patronised on this forum and told that we were stirring up trouble for no reason and that nothing would go wrong. Well it's starting to go wrong and it's going to get worse and worse.

Any of you out there?

It's time to mandate a single age-category system for all junior races run under the FRA and my vote is for 'age on 1st Jan'.

Make it part of the race approval system; job done.

It's time to mandate a single age-category system for all junior races run under the FRA and my vote is for 'age on 1st Jan'.

Agreed Andy......lets make it happen !

Heartiest apologies to all concerned. You are right I did state that it would be age on Jan 1st as per the old days. I wasnt there today I have handed this race over to Gill who nervously took on the organisation this year I have supported her planning and preparing for this and was out last night with her flagging the routes and talking through last minute stuff. A middle sons football tournament kept me away today. I take full responsibilty for any confusion caused, the age criteria was the only thing we didnt discuss, as the club committee decision was to stick with old age grouping for all our races, and I assumed Gill was on board with this. It was not Gills fault but mine for not communicating this. I do hope that despite problems with points etc you all did at least enjoy the racing.
    Again really sorry and please dont let it put you off venturing this way to race. Our race next month at Widdop is AGE ON 1ST Jan
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Many thanks for that CCR .....I will pass your comments on to the runners and parents. Never fear despite the mishap today your club races are always good ones.
    We need to press the case with the Fra for age on 1st Jan to be the norm for all races though.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Incidentally, I hope to hear from all those self important committee meddlers who caused this problem with last year's botched rule changes then refused to take responsibility. Several coaches and ROs were thoroughly patronised on this forum and told that we were stirring up trouble for no reason and that nothing would go wrong. Well it's starting to go wrong and it's going to get worse and worse.

Any of you out there?

Make it part of the race approval system; job done.
    Is insulting people a sensible way of encouraging people to continue to run your sport on your behalf? Perhaps you are volunteering to take over as Junior Coordinator next AGM? As an ex Junior Coordinator and current Junior Committee member I am in a good position to advise that if you insult people it does not make them want to carry on being involved. The job is hard enough as it is. If enough people decide not to be involved then there will be no-one to organise the Junior Championships, the Junior Do, the training camps, decide how to handle kids running races that are to long for them, etc.

As it happens, I agree that all junior races should follow the lead of the Junior Champs age groups. But it seems that not every Race Organiser wishes to do this.

The rule change was to clarify things for Senior race organisers what age people had to be to run their races. It is unfortunate that some race organisers have decided to apply age on day to Junior races. As Al has pointed out, that was not his intention and that this was a mistake - which isn't really the committee's fault.