Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another newbie

Yet another newbie

Hi all, just thought I'd say hello to everyone. I'm a total- and I mean total, newbie to fell running so any advice on how to start would be greatly accepted. I'm based in Doncaster area so the closest and easiest place for me to go running is langsett res. I've been a few times running up to the mickleton (?) edge.

I cant run down hill to save my life! I've been road running for about a year and recently ran the Edinburgh marathon (my first) but I love being in amongst nature. Dream would to be to run up and down Ben Nevis, which is prob nothing for all you lot, ever since I saw a man fly past me both up and down before we even got to the top! Oh and this prob won't go down too well but I wear vibram five fingers whilst running because I'm a believer in all things natural. Determined to run in them whilst fell running but we'll see for now!

Anyway that's me.
    John

Re: Yet another newbie

Welcome to the wonderful world of fell running. Hope to see you up Cut gate soon.

Sorry if I seem rude or stupid but what is cut gate? I really am a total beginner!

ah just googled it, that's what I'd be aiming to complete. Do you guys meet up or belong to a club that run along there?
    Last edited by Avit; 24-06-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avit View Post
    Sorry if I seem rude or stupid but what is cut gate? I really am a total beginner!

ah just googled it, that's what I'd be aiming to complete. Do you guys meet up or belong to a club that run along there?
    I am not a club member, however the Denby Dale Travellers operate in this area, http://www.denbydaletravellers.org.uk, as do Dark Peak, http://www.dpfr.org.uk/site/index . Why not have a look and pop along to a club run and talk to a coupe of folk?

Hello Avit and welcome to fell running and the forum!
    There is a lot of information on this website and the forumites are usually happy to answer questions or drop their 2 penneth in!

Langsett area is a great place to run with many possible routes from the car park there. Plenty to keep any one occupied for a while.
    Club runs are a great way to find new routes and friends.

Enjoy
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1979678 that's the driest I've ever seen Cut Gate

Welcome to the forum, just one piece of advice. Don't listen to my advice.
    pies

Fell running covers such a variety of terrain from decent trails (where your five fingers will be fine) through to rough rocks and moorland. For those you will need different shoes Walshes and Inov8s being the popular one. Pure fell shoes have quite thin soles as that gives the foot more stablity on rough ground. They are very different to road shoes.

Thank you for all your kind replies. I shall have a look into a club run and some other footwear too!

My twopence worth - ditch the five fingered jobbies when you start running in the fells. Fell running shoes are fairly uncushioned anyway but they have studs which really come in handy. Also you look less of a prat in them

alwaysinjured

Quote Originally Posted by Avit View Post
    Hi all, just thought I'd say hello to everyone. I'm a total- and I mean total, newbie to fell running so any advice on how to start would be greatly accepted. I'm based in Doncaster area so the closest and easiest place for me to go running is langsett res. I've been a few times running up to the mickleton (?) edge.

I cant run down hill to save my life! I've been road running for about a year and recently ran the Edinburgh marathon (my first) but I love being in amongst nature. Dream would to be to run up and down Ben Nevis, which is prob nothing for all you lot, ever since I saw a man fly past me both up and down before we even got to the top! Oh and this prob won't go down too well but I wear vibram five fingers whilst running because I'm a believer in all things natural. Determined to run in them whilst fell running but we'll see for now!

Anyway that's me.
    John
    If you like long events in a relaxed atmosphere in hill country try joining the LDWA and try challenge events as long training runs- checkpoints with food and drink - less competitive and more social, and generally less technical and steep terrain, although a lot of events make cracking fell courses. See what is within a reasonable drive from you. There are generally 10-20% fell runners outfront, with walkers coming in many hours later.