Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Skiddaw Race

Skiddaw Race

I know it's months away, but I was looking through the FRA calendar and saw that against Skiddaw they have ER (experience required), LK (local knowledge) and NS (navigational skills). I've walked it and so I know it's a tough climb and i know you can lose your bearings on any fell with the slightest drop of mist, but isn't the route up and down Jenkin Hill fairly straight forward, relatively speaking!

david

Re: Skiddaw Race

You'd have to be trying VERY hard to get lost on this one .

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    That's what I was thinking. It's confusing if, like me, you're not overly familiar with the routes of various races and use the info in the calendar as a guide. Borrowdale has the same ER, NS, LK info but is obviously a totally different kettle of fish, with several check points, navigation to be done and a real chance of getting lost if the weather turns.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    My missus went the wrong way at the fork in the forest tracks around latrigg on the way down. She ended up finishing second to last and wouldn;t speak to me for an hour afterwards because I laughed so much.

One cream tea later and she saw the funny side...

Ah yes, Swiss Toni....the one place it IS possible to go wrong. I almost took that wrong turn and, from being about a minute ahead of the person behind me, had to catch him up again!!

So, Jimmyboy, the answer is....no navigation issues on the hill itself...but some down in the "foothills"
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

So, Jimmyboy, the answer is....no navigation issues on the hill itself...but some down in the "foothills"[/quote]

That explains it. When I walked it I was lazy and parked up at the car park between Latrigg and Jenkin Hill thus missing the dreaded woods. If I do make the race I'll make sure I follow the right person!

Thanks for the advice folks

Skiddaw - Sunday July 1st

This race is on the first day I'm back home after my hol's
    so no chance for a recce. However, Skiddaw is the fell I go up most often (as it's quite close) so there should be no prob's.
    Presume it goes straight up the 'tourist route' via Latrigg etc? Anyone done it previously?
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

Re: Skiddaw - Sunday July 1st

tourist route yes I think, they bring back down mostly on the same path but theres about 1km on a nasty camber, thats most of my memories of it - apart from the toe blisters and a few people fell over producing lots of blood.

david

Out of the back of Fitz Park, right along the road for a couple of hundred yards then left up the main track towards Latrigg. Stay on the track skirting round to the left of Latrigg up to the car park then the main tourist path up to the top. Back the same way. Pretty horrible running most of the way on the "improved" paths in my opinion. If you want to have a go at a straight up and down race then Glaramara the following Sunday is a much nicer course.

Whays shoes would you recommend, trail or fell?

I'm in keswick that day but with family so not sure I will be allowed out to play ...
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.