Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uphill Champs Race 2014

Re: Uphill Champs Race 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan R View Post
    Richard - That's a good call, I'm not sure the nature of the International has been decided yet, but if it were uphill only we could make it a separate entity & use it as a trial, maybe first weekend in September, for all junior age groups.

The problem as you know with mid August was that so many juniors were away on holidays at the time of the trials, holidays booked by parents much earlier in the year. But youre right, the races do come round quite quickly getting them done before school holidays.

I'll check with Anne & Sarah.
    If you look back historically, we always had the last race in August or September and although it was never dubbed a trial. I think as long as these are flagged up well in advance people will plan around them.
    We had problems a couple of years ago when the World Trials were at Witton when the England Trials were attached but not publicised until a couple of weeks before the event.

I know the intensity of the Junior Champs this year was tough for our parents travelling up from Shroppie every other weekend, but then after the Champs finished they carried on with the weekends away to do the BOFRA series so it can't have been too much for them!

At Stretton the biggest continuous climb we could offer is about a thousand feet in 3 miles, from the town to the top of the Longmynd. There are routes wih a fairly consistent gradient, and there's a road to bring folks back down too, but we can't manage 10% for the U16 or U18s. The route we'd use would be similar to the first climb of leg 2 of last year's relays. Not sure we're a suitable venue really.

In any case we're concentrating our efforts on the FRA dinner for 2014, with a return to race organising planned for the 2015 juniro series, if you'll have us!

Jim
    Jim Tinnion
    (Mercia Fell Runners)

http://midlands-fell.blogspot.com/