Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BG nutrition

Re: BG nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by vespa View Post
    does this mean joe you have not been experimenting so far so you are not sure what works and what does,nt i am doing bg same day as you but i have known from about 2 month ago what i am taking that is just through trying different items different methods diffrent quantity during winter months going back heavier than what i started and also learning to digest food on the go when and where to eat and drink making sure there are enough cakes and refreshments for support including bacon and eggs at wasdale and cornish pasties from keswick remember extra fluids in this heat
    Thanks for all the suggestions, im all set for what ill be eating during the legs themselves, although i think i might add some kendal mint cake into the food bags after the good reviews from you guys! Ive got a good idea of the options im going to have to choose from when i get to the road crossings, just wanted to see if any of the hardened BGers on here had any gems of wisdom that i had missed or not heard yet. Im sure ill be thanking you all for the mint cake by great gable lol. Also the links to previous threads was really useful.
    Its looking like its going to be a glorious day on sat, im very pleased....my pacers probably wont be when they see how much fluids i want them to carry lol.

Super Moderator

Another couple of tips Joe: try to ensure that all your pacers have enough food for themselves and you. If you have one pacer carrying all your provisions and they get injured or can't keep up then you could be left with nothing to keep you going. Little 'goodie bags' with a few of your favourite sweets etc in are great. It's surprising what a boost an Extra-strong Mint or a Werthers Original can give when you're flagging :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks for all the advice, Pringles where amazing on the later legs and the custard and kendal mint cake worked a treat even when i was suffering with nausea. I would definitely advise against using anything like Lucozade sport as it really upset my stomach, to the point of vomiting a couple of times. I think it was just way too much sugar to ask my stomach to absorb. Bacon sandwich was amazing at wasdale and really gave me a morale boost even if it wasnt much of an energy boost. Good luck to any other attempts over the summer!!

alwaysinjured

Interesting.

I have found beyond marathon ( I occasionally did ultras on roads or trails whilst a roadie) lucozade has that effect on me.
    Regularly used to heave at the end of the keswick to barrow 40 for example, so don't use them beyond a couple of hours.

I have been using NUUN tablets on long days out recently which are isotonic without the sugar to avoid the nausea that goes with it.
    Also that they can be put in ordinary water and fizz out to isotonic, so you do not have to carry fluid weight, only a tube of tablets.

After using bladders for years, I have just got a raidlight sack with shoulder bottle straps and I am convinced it is better.
    A better way to monitor consumption, just as easy to drink. Much easier to fill, and regulate how much you carry - and when you fill So can choose between isotonic or water, just by carrying an empty bottle and deciding whether to pop a tablet!
    Last edited by alwaysinjured; 15-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frontier_joe View Post
    Thanks for all the advice, Pringles where amazing on the later legs and the custard and kendal mint cake worked a treat even when i was suffering with nausea. I would definitely advise against using anything like Lucozade sport as it really upset my stomach, to the point of vomiting a couple of times. I think it was just way too much sugar to ask my stomach to absorb. Bacon sandwich was amazing at wasdale and really gave me a morale boost even if it wasnt much of an energy boost. Good luck to any other attempts over the summer!!
    I take it you were successful then? What time did you set off. There was a few assisting vespa of this forum with a set off of 19.30.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Yeah success, although i still cant quite believe it. I set off at 7pm met vespa in the carpark, i noticed he was down on time during the night when his head torches popped up on Dollywaggon. I used noon too found it much better than the lucozade but still couldnt stomach it after leg 3, just plain water and making sure i took on salts with the food worked well for me. Final time of 22 hours 51 mins.

Just read your other thread Joe!! Well done! :thumbup:
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com