Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Money, the root of all evil.

Re: Money, the root of all evi

A more athlete-sided report (tragic tale of 5+ athletes caught out by some supplement/product that should not have had any banned substances in it):
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...s-8708278.html

Although I am willing to be tested anytime, and have been in-competition, I am pretty happy I'm not fast enough to be in full-time testing. If you go along with the IAAF spiel I'd be better off eating nothing but the organic sheep growing in sight of my house, and gather some wild leaves.. Anything else might be contaminated. IIRC, the IAAF strangely seem to suggest the use of sugar drinks for recovery, with which I completely disagree. I'd be lost (ill) without my recovery products, although all too often they have some weird additive I could do without.

On the other side, the 'top sports nutritionists' continually try to develop new supplements, and would use them until the day they are officially banned.

The whole paranoia/suspicion/contamination worry must take a lot of the fun out of being amongst the best in the world.

That's certainly the case for normal athletes who aren't rich enough to have a support team. But if you're a million-dollar sprinter, the first thing you should do is get someone to plan your nutrition. I suspect these two will have someone in charge of their nutrition, which makes their claims all the more unbelievable.

Tennis - definitely (some). Football - definitely (a lot more than we think). American football and baseball - of course.

I think the issue is being rich enough to have a support team - it just means there's someone else trying to sponge off you claiming to have the latest, greatest "legal" supplement.

It's amazing how they all say that they aren't cheating, surely if you're taking a supplement you're doing so because you believe it will give you an advantage? It continues to amaze me how many endurance athletes (claim to) have asthma?

Ultimately even the top athletes have to trust some person, lab, or supplier. They can hardly send every food item and supplement (which I mean roughly interchangeably) away to be tested privately.

In a recovery drink I am basically looking for a good mix of (some) sugars / carbs, protein (with specific amino acids), functional fats, and some multivit/minerals. It's hard to avoid things like Creatine, Taurine unless you mix your own from scratch. I was just given a tub of BCAAs, they have long been recommended to me. But mostly I need a quick and effective recovery drink ASAP after training.

My favourite all-in-one seems to have dropped the mystery 5-Methyl-7-methoxyisoflavone in its new formula (this hasn't ever been banned, as although it is sold as a T-booster, all clinical studies showed it to have no effect). But there's more Creatine. And Avena Sativa (that means trying to make oats sound scientific). And what the hell are Tocopherols.. (promotes vit E activity, says Wiki)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    It continues to amaze me how many endurance athletes (claim to) have asthma?
    !
    Yes indeed.

Master

For recovery: fluids/mixture of carbohydrates/protein. It is not difficult, there are no miracle formulas. Vitamin supplements are potentially harmful and make for expensive urine. People need to be 100% responsible for what they eat/drink/inject/absorb and if it turns out they have taken an illegal substance, on the label or not, intentional or not, then they need to accept the sanctions imposed on them. I suspect the more manufactured/artificial a product is, the more likely it is to contain dodgy substances, whether intended by the manufacturers or not. Spend your money on fresh food, do not waste it on pills/powders/potions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    For recovery: fluids/mixture of carbohydrates/protein. It is not difficult, there are no miracle formulas. Vitamin supplements are potentially harmful and make for expensive urine. People need to be 100% responsible for what they eat/drink/inject/absorb and if it turns out they have taken an illegal substance, on the label or not, intentional or not, then they need to accept the sanctions imposed on them. I suspect the more manufactured/artificial a product is, the more likely it is to contain dodgy substances, whether intended by the manufacturers or not. Spend your money on fresh food, do not waste it on pills/powders/potions.
    Indeed, I'm sure I remember reading that cows milk (or others) makes a very good recovery sustaenance choice. Better than most other stuff, i think; and that's despite the evidence that most people do not digest cows milk very easily.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 15-07-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    Lancslad

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    Indeed, I'm sure I remember reading that cows milk (or others) makes a very good recovery sustaenance choice. Better than most other stuff, i think; and that's despite the veidence that most people do not digest cows milk very easily.

Glass of milk and a banana. Recovery for champions.
    pies

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Two pints of Landlord and a bag of Seabrooks. Recovery for champions.
    Absolutely correct
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I stand corrected.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Christopher Leigh was right all along I suspect :closed:
    Sadly I'm beginning to agree with him too Tupster. In fact I now reckon that if you're annually among the world's best in any sport there is a good chance you're a doper
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There