Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BG foot care

Re: BG foot care

Agree with that_fjell_guy that 2's are better than 3's. A shoe with a degree of cushioning is best as much of the BG is on stony paths. I remember feet feeling somewhat bruised for about two or three days after. I've never used grease on my feet and very rarely get blisters but maybe I'm lucky? I find really thin socks much better than the expensive merino wool ones to keep feet cool

Also just vaseline the heals.. and toes.. soft supple skin isn't a bad thing...

I understand what you guys are saying for the reasons to use vaseline but there really are much better things you can use instead. Go to any climbing shop and buy some climbon.....ask any climber who does hard stuff that wears skin out, this stuff is the business. http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogu...n-Bar-CON-BARS
    http://www.blisstree.com/2012/01/12/...ernatives-879/
    Have a look at this link about vaseline. It IS NOT good for you + you are buying the petrochemical companies waste sludge......go natural instead!
    Soft, supple skin is over-rated in my eyes! Would you want soft supple skin as your ground contact point? If you walk about in bare feet do you get soft, supple skin? Or do you get hard as nail, tough as old boots skin......? Answer.......neither You end up with what nature intened you to have!

My experience is that lots of vaseline, reapplied at each road crossing, with a change of socks, is the business. That combination worked for me on Bob G and Paddy B rounds.

But if you get extremes of weather I'm not sure there's anything you can do...

So this year at the Old County Tops I found that what seemed like 10 hours immersion in water gave me problems.

Last weekend on the other hand, which I think is when Mark was out on his BG, was very hot, and under those conditions the vaseline treatment can feel as if it's contributing to cooking your feet (imagine coating them with lard and putting them in the oven).
    if I can't see blencathra it's raining
    if I can see blencathra it's going to rain

Quote Originally Posted by mikekeswick View Post
    I understand what you guys are saying for the reasons to use vaseline but there really are much better things you can use instead. Go to any climbing shop and buy some climbon.....ask any climber who does hard stuff that wears skin out, this stuff is the business. http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogu...n-Bar-CON-BARS
    http://www.blisstree.com/2012/01/12/...ernatives-879/
    Have a look at this link about vaseline. It IS NOT good for you + you are buying the petrochemical companies waste sludge......go natural instead!
    Soft, supple skin is over-rated in my eyes! Would you want soft supple skin as your ground contact point? If you walk about in bare feet do you get soft, supple skin? Or do you get hard as nail, tough as old boots skin......? Answer.......neither You end up with what nature intened you to have!
    Fair enough... but I've not had a blister in years.. so why change?

I use vaseline or its equivalent as I can get it anywhere for peanuts..

On my round 2 weeks ago, I changed socks and gave my feet some talc at each road crossing, this seemed to work really well. My feet were proper sweaty in the heat and getting some clean dry socks on felt wonderful. I wore the same shoes for all the fell sections - it was more sweat getting my feet wet rather than wet ground.

Also, I normally prefer to run in Walshes, but switched to La Sportiva crosslites a few months before my round and wore these on the round itself too. I found my feet were getting nailed by the long rocky lake district miles when training in Walshes, the extra bit of comfort afforded by the Crosslites made a difference in how my feet bore up to the miles.

I wear Sealskins waterproof socks if the ground is wet with vaseline around the toes....always worked for me.

I changed socks after each leg and varied the shoes a bit and my feet were fine. When I recced legs 3&4 without changing socks my feet were sore. Reckon it's really worth drying your feet and changing socks at the road crossings

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Fair enough... but I've not had a blister in years.. so why change?

I use vaseline or its equivalent as I can get it anywhere for peanuts..
    There's an excellent book about the life and times of Vaseline. In fact it was so good it won the Booker Prize for the best work of non-fricton.

I'll get me coat.

(with apologies to the late great Humphrey Littleton)

my old fella used to swear by surgical spirts to harden his feet, used to put it on every nite to stop blisters. a change of socks at crossings and dry feet off gotta help and shoes if wet / sweaty.
    WOODZY.