Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nant y Moch Skyline

Re: Nant y Moch Skyline

Brilliant event that! Thanks to everyone involved with putting it on. The weather was horrible, at least the last hour of my race was. The winner presumably missed the best bit: horizontal rain that hurt, on the top of Plynlymon. I'm not being sarky here - I really did enjoy the weather. It was wet & windy, but not cold. I took my waterproof off early on as I was clearly going to get to hot with it on, & ran wet the rest of the way. Perfect running temperature. I had to take my specs off, so I couldn't see much, but you can't have everything. It wasn't as tussocky as I was expecting either - the really gnarly bits were either early on on very short, & most was reasonable ground for running, apart from the climbs. The usual story when I run with tired legs: I started passing people from about halfway, when their legs got tired too. Me 3:05, winner 2:05 or thereabouts - no results up yet as far as I know.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Brilliant event that! Thanks to everyone involved with putting it on. The weather was horrible, at least the last hour of my race was. The winner presumably missed the best bit: horizontal rain that hurt, on the top of Plynlymon. I'm not being sarky here - I really did enjoy the weather. It was wet & windy, but not cold. I took my waterproof off early on as I was clearly going to get to hot with it on, & ran wet the rest of the way. Perfect running temperature. I had to take my specs off, so I couldn't see much, but you can't have everything. It wasn't as tussocky as I was expecting either - the really gnarly bits were either early on on very short, & most was reasonable ground for running, apart from the climbs. The usual story when I run with tired legs: I started passing people from about halfway, when their legs got tired too. Me 3:05, winner 2:05 or thereabouts - no results up yet as far as I know.
    I think I found the tussocks that you missed. I enjoyed this in parts. I thought the big climb was brilliant and there were some great downhills - just a shame I went a little wrong at the end. Didn't need the waterproofs as I was warm enough while I was running but you're right about the pins and needles rain on top of Plynlymon. Much admiration for those marshals who stood out on top in all that foul weather. Well done for Paul B for a well organised event.

Can I add my thanks to the organiser and incredibly stoic marshals, didn't go wrong but learned a lesson about having your map and backup maps thoroughly waterproof as I was reading papier mache by the end. The map hints were very useful and reassuring, it was very uplifting to see that fence. I also have a black and blue ankle done on the tussocks on the flagged section 1.5 miles from the end.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    Can I add my thanks to the organiser and incredibly stoic marshals.
    We lurkers would like to second that. The rain wasn't so bad if you kept moving but it must have been miserable to be stood in it for so long. Definitely owe you all a drink (and not rainwater).

Results now available here

yes, brilliant job by the marshalls, many many thanks

enjoyable race too, and I also found the tussocks Andy missed, hope it's on again in the next few years, I have a time to beat (if I can go the right way next time)

it seemed quite a few that went wrong went the wrong way after checkpoint 9, myself included, and it was the flagged section.....
    http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/

i'll risk it for a biscuit

:w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by harrymoon View Post
    it seemed quite a few that went wrong went the wrong way after checkpoint 9, myself included, and it was the flagged section.....
    That was the bit I got right (with a bit of help from the compass I could only just read) - it was just the other 4 misjudgements through the tussocks where I went wrong!