Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Tempo Run" = % max HR?

Re: "Tempo Run" = % max HR?

Quote Originally Posted by M.C View Post
    I wore my new HRM whilst hill running for the first time on Saturday. I've previously worn it for steady flat runs, circuit training and cycling(mtb singlespeed and road), but the heart rates during hill running surprised me.

During 2 hours running around the Clwydians I hit a max of 193bpm and was above 180 for much of the climbing. I assume my threshold is higher than I'd previously thought.

I guess there's not much point trying to keep the heart-rate down on terrain like that and just treat it as hard intervals.
    I used one for a bit a few years ago and found it so difficult to keep within the desired ranges especially on steady runs where I'd almost end up walking on the hills - that said i was never one for being that good at going up hill anyway....that could have been the problem!

A guy i know who runs for Dark Peak and finished top 6 in the National X-Country was, i think, really into them and his recovery runs were, so I'm told, steady at best!

All goes to show that you train a lot harder than you think sometimes and fell running really is nails - whether you're following a marked route or not!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M.C View Post
    During 2 hours running around the Clwydians I hit a max of 193bpm and was above 180 for much of the climbing. I assume my threshold is higher than I'd previously thought.

I guess there's not much point trying to keep the heart-rate down on terrain like that and just treat it as hard intervals.
    I've been trying to follow a training plan that advocates you keep your HR below 75% but I have still been out on the fells. I now work off
    my average HR for the runs. My max HR is 186 with a resting HR of 48/50 which is not bad for a overweight 45year old

I do a hill rep session on Monday evenings and my times for the session have been getting better for the same HR % effort. There was just one week when I was off colour and the HR should a raise.

I'd take any training zones calculated from formulas to predict maximum heart-rate with a hefty pinch of salt. Most were arrived at using sedentary subjects giving very low predicted max and therefore zones. Even if you test your absolute max (extremely unpleasant) the percentage zones can still be off from what is actually going on physiologically. I got tested in a sports science lab last year and the zones I got from that (using gas curve analysis) varied significantly from straight percentages of max. I wouldn't get too hung up about HR zones... Steady pace you can maintain a normal conversation. Tempo you can only answer in short sentances.