Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter BG

Winter BG

So can't find a winter ultra that looks fun...

So thinking of a winter BG.. steady pace...

Sometime around Fri 20th Dec.. maybe one night either side..

I know the BG a bit.. but not especially well so will need people who know the route... just after getting the BG done so sub 24...

Won't recce much if at all, have done the first two legs, know the rest OK apart from the last leg.. and live on the flat so know specific training.. relying on the old muscle memory....

So anyone fancy getting involved let me know.. will have a read about how to start..

Re: Winter BG

Happy to help. Put me down for leg four or five, i.e. when you're hopefully slowing down a bit.

Missus will be about 7.5 months pregnant then so should be ok to escape for a bit

Here's hoping for a cold and clear one

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    So can't find a winter ultra that looks fun...

So thinking of a winter BG.. steady pace...

Sometime around Fri 20th Dec.. maybe one night either side..

I know the BG a bit.. but not especially well so will need people who know the route... just after getting the BG done so sub 24...

Won't recce much if at all, have done the first two legs, know the rest OK apart from the last leg.. and live on the flat so know specific training.. relying on the old muscle memory....

So anyone fancy getting involved let me know.. will have a read about how to start..
    May be up for having a go with you. If you fancy a bit of company? Know the route well, and more importantly know some of the best winter options, for if it is winter conditions on the ground. Although looking at a map they are fairly obvious, it's the long darkness that is potentially most troublesome in that respect.

I can vouch for Alan's brilliance when supporting a winter BG

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    May be up for having a go with you. If you fancy a bit of company? Know the route well, and more importantly know some of the best winter options, for if it is winter conditions on the ground. Although looking at a map they are fairly obvious, it's the long darkness that is potentially most troublesome in that respect.
    That could work well.. No designs on a time just sub 24 and enjoy it as much as I can.... just fancy something new for the winter..

Thanks Mark..Aye Me and Alan have UTMB/Paddy history so kind of fitting.. :-)

Hi fellas,

If you are recceing the route over the coming months, wouldn't mind joining you and likewise providing support on the day. At the moment only ran trail marathons including scafell this year which really gave me the bug to head for the fells, just finding it hard to get willing volounteers from my mates who are mostly into triathlon at present.

Cheers

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That could work well.. No designs on a time just sub 24 and enjoy it as much as I can.... just fancy something new for the winter..
    I have had my eye on a summer solo ( still on to do list for next year ) and a supported winter BG for a few years now. Just not got around to it. I think a winter BG is a nicer prospect as a joint attempt as the weather can be a bit more unpredictable at that time of year. It gives a bit more margin for less support too. Sub 24 hours would be my only goal too. Although to make it comfortable ish ( unless conditions are near perfect ) it would be best to move fairly fast during daylight to build a buffer for the long night time, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by tim67 View Post
    Hi fellas,

If you are recceing the route over the coming months, wouldn't mind joining you and likewise providing support on the day. At the moment only ran trail marathons including scafell this year which really gave me the bug to head for the fells, just finding it hard to get willing volounteers from my mates who are mostly into triathlon at present.

Cheers

Tim
    Hi Tim,

If its game on, I will recce some of the route in late Autumn, sort of October / November, as I know the route pretty well anyway, and would just want to refresh my memory in some colder weather. You would be welcome to join me anytime I go up from Lancaster. I will keep you posted on here.

Sounds good.. I'll probably not get time to recce.. depends on work.. I may try a weekend in November or so..

Because I'll be coming from Germany I'll be fairly fixed on when I can try it too... so can maybe vary the start by a few hours but that'll be about my limit I think..

Anyway Sierre Zinal next and then a 4 day break in Chamonix in 2 weeks... so getting plenty of time in the mountains still..