Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0-10

20 100.00%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Barefoot mileage

Re: Barefoot mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Oh and I've probably read Lord of the Rings over 20 times but that doesn't make me believe Middle Earth really exists...... well not much anyway . Gollum mind you was an excellent barefoot runner and Legolas only wore very minimalist elf shoes
    Hobbits - hairy bare feet
    Ali H - Glossopdale Harriers

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Hi Noel

In 1968 the deer act became law, although there have been amendments since, then the last ones 3ish years ago IIRC. The law states that you can only kill deer with firearms that meet a minimum level of power. In Scotland it is a rifle that produces 1,000 ft/lbs of energy at the muzzle for small deer, Roe and 1750ft/lbs for large deer, Fallow/Red/Sika. For comparison the British army standard issue assault rifle cartridge produces around 1,300ft/lbs of energy. The use of bows/arrows/spears/crossbows are all illegal under the deer act. The reason is animal welfare, it is a legal requirement to minimise the suffering to any deer that is shot, hence why a minimum level of power is set for the firearms to ensure a clean one shot kill and no bows and arrows ect.

There are a lot of other cavets, and slight differences in law between England and Wales Scotland and Ireland.

But in essence you can’t persistent hunt deer in the UK because it is against animal welfare laws.

ATB

Tahr

If you want to know more PM me if you like.

There should be a minimum calibre of round (bullet) as well. A British Army SA80 5.56mm round will have less kinetic energy as it gets further from the muzzle than say the old British Army SLR 7.62mm round. Shooting at a large deer 400 metres away the SLR will still have more kinetic energy at the point of impact than the SA80 had at its muzzle!

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    There should be a minimum calibre of round (bullet) as well. A British Army SA80 5.56mm round will have less kinetic energy as it gets further from the muzzle than say the old British Army SLR 7.62mm round. Shooting at a large deer 400 metres away the SLR will still have more kinetic energy at the point of impact than the SA80 had at its muzzle!
    There is Alf, small deer the min' is 5.56 (.22) and min' bullet weight of 50gms, for large deer the min' is 6mm (.240") and min' bullet weight 100gms. All bullets must also be a expanding type, that means they mushroom to cause a bigger wound chanel to bring death quickly, FMJ ammo is illegal for use on deer. Most deer will be shot at 100 meters or less, 300 meters would be concidered a very long shot, most deer stalkers would consider a 400 meter shot irresponsible as it is too far for most to guarantee a one shot kill and not risk wounding the deer.

ATB

Tahr
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Try looking at the studies done in Norway. A broadhead arrow is a more effective killer than any bullet. The 'laws' regarding usage of different bullets in this country show conclusively that the law makers really don't know what they are talking about.....but that's another debate.
    Persistance hunting can still be used to catch up with a deer - it's the act of killing it that has been made illegal..so by all means go out and try it - just stroke it until it recovers.

Well not i'm upto about 6 miles every other day over rough terrain. I finish every run feeling I could easily do it again but i'm making sure I don't do too much too soon.
    My calves have responded very well to barefooting...I had a recurrent calf strain/muscle tear that never seemed to go away and I always had to massage the area after running in shoes. Well funnily enough that injury seems to have completely cured itself after barefooting for about 3 weeks. I'm certain it's down to landing on a fully relexed calf as opposed to the slightly tensed calf shoes promote. They are also getting significantly more defined....in only 3 weeks after walking/running up hills all my life.....
    I'm floating up hills and am definately finding that i'm using less energy to do the same hills (compared to wearing shoes).
    My skin is changing significantly.
    I'm starting to really understand about the corrolation of how the whole body is posistioned and the impact the foot then has.
    I've noticed without a shadow of a doubt that almost as soon as I put shoes back on my running style changes. It becomes heavier overall, as though my feet are still trying to feel the ground through the shoes sole but can't due to the chunk of rubber in the way.
    Overall it's a big thumbs up from me and see you out on the fells soon.