• 0-10

20 100.00%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barefoot mileage

Re: Barefoot mileage

I might try bare running this afternoon :w00t:

On second thoughts, it looks like it might rain :sneaky:
    Plus, I haven't been for a run for 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekeswick View Post
    One more question - how come a dog can run just about anywhere? Does it need shoes to do so?
    I have a good friend who is a hill runner but was also Ex’ World and European sledge dog racing champion, in the wrong conditions they fitted little racing boots to all 14 of his dog team feet before an event. Sharpe flints are known to cut up dogs feet. I have noticed with my own dogs when running even on the road that often they will run on the grass verge rather than the road, this would suggest that even flat tarmac is not as ideal under there feet as grass. Remember yes we have breed dogs for certain tasks, these sledge dogs had been breed and selected to be the best running dogs that you could have, in that the ones with the hardest feet would have figured but they still need shoes. In the west up until WW2 most breeders kept the best and shot the rest. With that level of selective breeding you could not have got better dogs adapted to running. You see lame deer because of damage to there feet, although when they have natural predators around they will not be lame for long.

I am not anti bare foot running although when trying to go to forefront foot striking as a prelude to barefoot running I have had issues with damage to the nerves at the end of my metatarsal.

I think if you want to do the BG get out there and try a leg with a pair of shoe in a back pack, keep trying a leg until you prove you can do that one leg (or not) then move onto the next one. If you can then string all 5 legs together and complete it good on you, even if it takes longer than the 24 hours.

ATB

Tahr
    Last edited by Tahr; 12-08-2013 at 05:07 PM.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

I find it a bit exasperating when barefoot enthusiasts keep going on about 'our ancestors' and 'wild animals' but then argue with other runners in a context of fellrunning.

Running barefoot because it is a natural thing to do is one thing but then choosing to run particular routes over rocky ground for fun and not necessity is another and I don't think you can compare the two. I walk about barefoot everyday and the bottoms of my feet are hard as a rhino's skin but some of the routes that I want to run in the lake district are going to bash my toes up and bruise my soles and I need shoes to allow me to do it effectively so that I can do it again the next day...and the next and the next. I don't 'need' to do that, I want to do it! I think 'our ancestors' would develop a foot covering pretty damn fast if they wanted to do the same in fact...how come we have invented footwear in the first place if not to protect our feet? As for animals, a number of those animals you mention have hooves! Plus, I think animals probably tend to run where and when they need to as opposed to thinking they would like to have a bash at a Bob Graham Round or the Borrowdale fell race.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekeswick View Post
    Maybe! But a cut will heal and obviously didn't stop them dead in their tracks either....so is a cut really a big problem?
    Also our dogs are not really like their doggy ancestors either. We have been breeding dogs and altering their 'make up' for an awfully long time.
    Maybe I should have worded my anology slightly differently....
    How come a wolf/dingo/hyenna/lion/tiger/deer/elk/moose/gazelle/etc etc etc or indeed any wild animal doesn't need shoes.
    The truth of the matter is that we as humans create/make/invent problems for ourselves in just about everything we do by over thinking/complicating things with these great brains of ours.....or in other words we are inflable and consiquently get things wrong.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

How come a wolf/dingo/hyenna/lion/tiger/deer/elk/moose/gazelle/etc etc etc or indeed any wild animal doesn't need shoes.
    Well, as they don't have opposable thumbs and a dirty great brain which has a penchant for making things which make life easier. Not really a sensible comparison.
    pies

It not about milage.
    No, its about mileage, ascent, descent, terrain and quality. My curiosity was piqued somewhat by a somewhat evangelical barefoot (unshod) runner who, it turned out never ran for more than 30 minutes. Not from the forum.

Glad somebody is managing a 40+ mile week. Curious as to whether it's shod or unshod?
    pies

:thumbup:
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    Well, as they don't have opposable thumbs and a dirty great brain which has a penchant for making things which make life easier. Not really a sensible comparison.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

The comparison with our ancestors, who I'm sure as omnivores and hunter gatherers did everything that they could do to avoid running about, and four legged wild animals that either a) as carnivores hunted in packs and/or short sprints with lolling about being their most important way of passing time of day or b) as herbivores spent all their lives on edge, barely sleeping and wanting to run away at the slightest sound (and had hooves and/or fricking great big herd leaders to help with that) is bonkers anyway

I do about 30-40 miles a week, mainly in minimalist shoes, all on soft trails and grass. Race in 190's off road.
    I couldn't do anything like this amount on roads or hard trails, I like my feet bruise free and my metatarsals intact.

All the 'natural' arguments wind me up. Natural is dying of smallpox or minor strep infections, childbirth having a 1/3 mortality rate, being clapped out at 40 and living in constant fear of being killed by a leopard. Would you do a BGR if there were wolves looking to pick you off when you are really tired?

I like my nice warm artificial house. Rant over

:thumbup: Well put!